It is currently Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:57 pm

Free Newsletter

The Duromine Diaries

Tell us about your weight loss successes and experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

The Duromine Diaries

Postby bambibaby » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:17 pm

It's very hard to know where to begin, though I warn you, this will be something of an essay so be prepared for lengthy reading!

Duromine.

It was first mentioned to me by someone I worked with a few months ago, my boyfriend also told me he had been on it before, to success.
I stumbled across this site whilst doing some research and have read all, yes all, the various posts and threads people have posted regarding their experiences and opinions.

I weigh 88kg and am 175cm, 24 years old and have ALWAYS struggled with my weight, both mentally and physically, typically being the victim of constant taunts and bullying throughout my life,though nothing new there, I am sure many of you can relate!
I'll be honest, I love food. Without making excuses for myself, my lifestyle means I seldom cook though I try and balance my liking for different foods by walking EVERYWHERE, sometimes up to 8kms in one direction, swimming occasionally, drinking so much water I often crassly remark that 'I drink like a fish and piss like a fountain', but I have never been able to shift my weight to a very noticable standard!

Ordinarily I take a size 16/18, but I have always wondered what it be like to have a flat stomach, wearing smaller sizes and not have to worry about pools of sweat in places there should not be any, wondered how it would feel to not be asked 'when's it due' and not to be offered seats on the train where signs permit (yes, this has happened more than once!)
I carry most of my weight around my middle, a tyre, a mummy tummy, even though I have a very narrow waist and am naturally an hour-glass figure, I look like an apple or some other extremely plump, round and ripe fruit! People comment on my face alot telling me I am a very pretty girl which means from the neck up I'm fine, and I agree.

I'm so over it.

Duromine is my last resort. I am so keen to feel more comfortable in my own skin that inspite of my nerves, I have come to the decision that I will try it for a month (30mg) then report back to my doctor and have him assess my progress as I maintain a log here with you good people, my 'Duromine Diaries'. I have thought ahead and planned a daily schedule that consists of a reasonable balance of exercise, small and proportioned light meals all around my daily activities.
When reading other peoples reports of the side effects they have had, I noticed that not one of them was identical, everyone had different things to say and different experiences, some good and some not. It's no secret that people are different from each other in general, so why not have different side affects. To be honest, entering into such a serious regime and not knowing exactly what side affects I will have is the only thing I am really concerned about. I find myself feeling nervous, restless and anxious, but as my mother always said, 'there's no point worrying until you have something to worry about', so with that in mind, I think I will just go for it!

Tomorrow morning at 6am when the pharmacy opens, I will go and collect my prescription and take my first pill.
I am not going to rush into frantic exercise or limiting my food intake on the first day, that I will begin on the second. Instead, I am to spend the day with a friend, just going about usual business but under his watchful eye purely because if I do feel frazzled as per typical side affects or something unlike to them, I would rather have someone around me to help me out and keep me in check!

There's something very encouraging and almost theraputic about having written this here for you all,I feel a little more at ease knowing there are so many others out there going through or have gone through the feat I am about to embark on, so I will post each day with my progress for the next two weeks, and would more than welcome any comments, support, relation, advice or feedback that anyone might have and hope that by my keeping this online diary, I too can be a source of support, encouragement and experience for everyone out there in the same boat as me!

Until tomorrow evening,

Bambi B x
bambibaby

Re: The Duromine Diaries

Postby Wannabskinnybex » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:25 am

Hey Bambi B,
Good luck, I hope ur feeling good! I wish u all the best & look forward to reading ur duromine diary :D
Bex
Wannabskinnybex

Re: The Duromine Diaries - Day One? -

Postby bambibaby » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:03 pm

The Duromine Diaries - Day One? -

Well, not off to such a great start!

Nothing to do with the pills as I haven't even had them yet!
Mess up at the pharmacist means I have to wait until an order comes in TOMORROW until I can take them!

Annoying really, I had myself all psyched up ready for the trials and terrors of crazy side effects but nope, nada, got nothing until tomorrow.
Nevertheless, I am still anxious to begin my treatment and will be doing as I did today, waking up very early tomorrow to collect and take my first pill, though I think in the morning, I will go straight out for a brisk walk, beginning my new exercise regime as if it was the second day of Duromine, and continue about my day as normal, monitoring how I feel and being sure to tell all to the good people here!

Sorry to disappoint anyone, (Bex, nice to see you're interested in my adventure!) I am a little disappointed myself, although today probably wouldn't have been a great day for a first-time-take as I was dragged into Brisbane for a viewing of some extremely psychaodelic exhibitions! I tripped out looking at them without needing any pills!

So here we go, again! Tomorrow WILL be the first day of Duromine and the first proper report!

Toodles till then!
Bambi B x
[/b]
bambibaby

Postby SugarandSpice » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:20 pm

Good Luck and will be interesting to see how things go...

I took them for a month and had no significant weight loss and no side affects at all... so am back to au naturel weight loss...

Vicki
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
SugarandSpice

Postby Wannabskinnybex » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:17 pm

Hey,
that's annoying (the muck up at the pharmacy)!

Well I'm feeling rubbish today, my daughter has had a vomiting bug (gastro?) so I hope she didn't pass it on to me - tho if she did, I'll accept it if it results in weight loss haha - always look on the bright side huh? :lol:

Well, til 2moro then

Bex
Wannabskinnybex

Postby itsme » Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:50 pm

Hi, I have just joined this forum after great difficulty as I am pretty techinically challenged at times :lol:
My starting weight was 89 kg's and I tried to go it alone watching my calories - started off well and motivated weightloss extremely slow - I lost my motivation and could see I was going to give up - went to the doc who prescribed duromine 30mg - my weight then was 85.3kg, that was 5 days ago - today I weigh 81.5kg, am happy with my progress thus far, my goal is 68kg by the 26 May as I am getting married then!

I have set up a graph on ticket factory and just cannot work out how to attach it - please can someone help me? :D
itsme

Postby SugarandSpice » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:35 pm

hi itsme,

welcome!!

go to user control panel (underneath board index - top left corner) - profile - edit signature - paste in there the code from your ticker set up....
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
SugarandSpice

Postby itsme » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:51 am

Thanks - I will give it a try! :lol:
itsme

Postby misserree » Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:27 pm

Hi, I have been considering this myself as a boost to get started, looking forward to hearing how you are going!

Ree
misserree

Postby tugelia » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:47 pm

Hello!

Pretty new to this but thought I'd share my experience so far.

I'm 18, also 165cm and at my heaviest weighed 86.9kgs. Two years ago I weighed my lowest, about 70kgs and since then it's just snuck up on me until I finally had the courage to stand on the scales a few months ago and had the shock of my life. I think it was a combination of moving out of home and having the freedom to eat whatever I like, going to school and being sedentary for most of the day and getting comfortable in a relationship where I know my boyfriend loves me despite the love handles and hairy legs :P Anyway, it gave me a kick up the bum and I finally saw my doctor who prescribed me Duromine 30mg.

Within the first week of taking Duromine I was down from 86.9kgs to around 81kgs. Before then I honestly think I was addicted to sugary soft drinks and fatty foods, but as soon as I started taking the tablet I did not feel hungry or get cravings at all. I started losing weight rapidly, I think 2kgs in the first few days? The only bad symptoms I had was constant thirst (which in a way is good because I was drinking 3+ litres of water a day), nausea, and I noticed my heart beat was a lot faster. Because I never felt hungry, I barely ate - maybe 200 calories a day if I was lucky. I began to think to myself "I should eat something, hmm, but if I just wait until tomorrow I'll be able to lose more weight today". Very unhealthy! In the end I scared myself with how stupid I was thinking, stopped taking the tablet and went on a 14 day food binge where I ate nothing but junk.

Which brings me to now. I started taking Duromine again Wednesday last week with a whole new attitude towards it and weight loss. I weighed 85.6kgs when I started (which means in my two week binge I put back on 4.6kgs). I decided I would eat small, healthy meals, go for daily walks and be happy with a loss of 1kg per week. 6 days in and I weigh in at 82.7, which means I've lost almost 3kgs.

I do notice though that in any given day my weight can fluctuate by almost a kilo! For example, Sunday morning I weighed myself, and then again that night, and I had lost 0.8kg! I work in a physically strenuous environment so I put it down to losing water weight that day, does this sound right?

Also for curiosity I weighed myself before I ate this morning, 82.7kgs, and after I drank a lot of water and ate a tiny breakfast weighed in again at 83.5kgs. Do you think it's normal for it to fluctuate so much? My scales are definitely accurate.

Anyways, I've decided weekly weigh ins are the best way to go from now on. It's exciting to know that with hard work and dedication the results will come. :)

Hope you've all had a great weekend!
tugelia

Postby Retire_The_Fat » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:33 pm

Congratulations on your new attitude :)

yes, it is normal for your weight to fluctuate like that that's why it's recommended that you weight yourself at the same time every day you weigh in

Good luck!

๑۩12 WEEK CHALLENGER۩๑
Currently: 93.9K
Start of challenge: 98.6
①97K: ②96.6K: ③96.3: ④95.6:⑤96.1:
⑥94.5: ⑦94.3: ⑧ 93.9: ⑨: ⑩:⑪: ⑫:
Pledge for week 10: NO excuses!
Retire_The_Fat

Postby Roblyssa » Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:18 pm

Hi there, I enjoyed reading your story.

I took a month of Duromine in Dec-Jan and lost little to no weight. Blood tests revealed that I had an underactive thyroid, so I was given a script for thyroxin to assist with my thyroid function.

I have just started taking another months supply of Duromine again at the doctors request. When I first filled the script (back in December) I was terrified of the side effects that I had read up on. The only side effects I had was a little sleeplessness. That was it. I felt completely normal, no more over or under active than usual, no less hungry than usual and my heart rate was splendid.

I only started this script on Friday and I've lost a kilo since then (I typically weigh in on Sunday mornings but I took my weigh Friday before starting the Duromine to gage the success of it).

Good luck with it all! And only weigh yourself once a week!
Roblyssa

Postby OU812 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:39 pm

Well, I reckon I’ve tried almost everything except surgery (although I did go to the info session), diets and dieticians, exercise, Naturopaths, herbal and traditional and Thyroxin to name but a few. I have just come off Metformin three days ago at the request of my Dr because I had suspicions that it wasn’t working and he agreed. Blood tests were showing that I should have lost weight, but alas, no. My Dr was stumped as was I so he prescribed Duromine. This is day 2. No weight loss so far. But that’s not unusual for me.

I suppose a bit of background (it feels a little like a dating site! Haha), I am a guy, 47 and always been very active in the gym until about 8 yrs ago when my body just decided that it didn’t want to do it any more. I wouldn’t say I was a body builder but that’s how I trained and I had developed that sort of physique. I was about 95-100kg and lean. Trained min 5 days a week interspersed with lots of cardio. So I reckon I know how to exercise.

Having said all that, I can truthfully say that I haven’t always been a “fatty”. At the moment I weight (as of this morning) 112.6kg. I guess that over the last 3-4 yrs I have lost quite a bit if muscle bulk, but not all so it’s not ALL fat, but recently I was diagnosed with Syndrome X. Yes, not matter what I do, exercise wise and no mater what I eat, whether it’s a very healthy diet of lean meats and fresh vegies (my partner is a vegetarian, so I’m not getting out of it that easy, she makes sure of that) or a bad diet of fried foods, which I can honestly say I don’t really do, I can’t loose any real weight. I can loose maybe 1-3 kg! Great I think when I jump on the scales and then 2 days later its all back and then it takes me another 2 weeks to loose that, only to regain it by doing nothing to encourage it. I am currently exercising. I have taken up running on the treadmill. I’ll run maybe 5ks in my lunchtime (I have a gym at my work, so I have no excuse not to go), and I’ll maybe loose about a kg in sweat, but as soon as I have that first big gulp of water or my lunch, its back on. So after eating well and exercising regularly, I can say that I weight exactly the same as I did 12 months ago. Very depressing.

Now I have my Duromine! Well, it’s more Metermine. Man! is it expensive or what! So I hope it’s not just my wallet that loses the weight. Ok, dry mouth, check, headache, check, sleeping at night? I have good nights and bad nights anyway, so I guess my sleeping is as normal. I was awake from about 3-4.30 this morning, but that’s not uncommon for me anyway. Hungry? no more that usual. I am by no means an over-eater, I am an average eater. I drink alcohol in moderation and I don’t smoke anymore. So in all I think I’m doing everything I can to facilitate some decent weight loss. I’ll keep you posted.
OU812

Postby Retire_The_Fat » Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:21 pm

Hi, I didn't know that syndrome x was metabolic syndrome/insulin resistance till I googled it and found there is a good description on this website.

I dont know about the CSIRO diet but I do know that I was listening to a webcast today where the speaker was talking about low GI foods for metabolic syndrome.

Good luck with the duromine and your resolve :)

๑۩12 WEEK CHALLENGER۩๑
Currently: 93.9K
Start of challenge: 98.6
①97K: ②96.6K: ③96.3: ④95.6:⑤96.1:
⑥94.5: ⑦94.3: ⑧ 93.9: ⑨: ⑩:⑪: ⑫:
Pledge for week 10: NO excuses!
Retire_The_Fat

Postby OU812 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:56 pm

Ok, day 3 on Metermine 30's and I'm 112.8! so if I do the calculations correctly, I've gained 200g! not exactly a success story. Buy hey, you gotta spend a little to make a little. I guess I'm just in the settling in phase. Things will start to improve soon...I hope.

Had a shocking nights sleep, but I think thats due to my sort throat and sweats I picked up yesterday.
OU812

Next

Return to True Stories