It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:09 pm

Free Newsletter

Angels Story

Tell us about your weight loss successes and experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

Angels Story

Postby angel81 » Mon Dec 04, 2006 3:17 pm

Hi there,

Well my story is pretty long.
I had been overweight for about 3 years (I was 100kg) and I always thought my diet 'wasnt that bad' although I didnt really do any excercise and I did LOVE pasta and garlic bread and alcohol with all my meals and we did get take away a couple of times a week....

So many times I had the 'enough is enough' moment and tried everything from fad diets to pills to detoxes to vomiting, everything!!! Unfortunately nothing worked. After being extremely sick earlier in the year I dropped about 5kg. It took months of being unwell and unhealthy for me to just snap. You see you have to have more than an 'enough is enough' moment. You need to have a total realisation that you cant live like this anymore. It was just a joke what Id become and I couldnt ignore it anymore. Other people were even starting to comment.

I started by eating better. I generally followed the1400cal 30 grams fat rule and lost about 4kg over about 3 months (I have the worlds worst metabolism). After this I decided to add a bit of excercise. Now I hated excercise. If you'd told me that I would have ended up joining a gym I would have collapsed in hysterics. I was excercise phobic. However I found my local gym and started doing a dance/aerobics class just one day a week. It was hard work and I thought after about 10 minutes in that I might have to slip out the back door but I made myself stay. You see Ive always been a quitter. It was what I did best. If things get too hard just quit! Easy right? No. I stayed. I felt good after. And slowly I tried the other classes one by one working out which ones I liked.

Now Im hooked and go about 5 times a week for an hour at a time. Ive been going for about 3 months. I had also dropped the regimented eating plan and instead just ate what I thought was healthy foods. After about 2 months I hadnt lost anymore weight on the scales but I had toned up a bit and was fitting into clothes better.(Ie: I was making muscle which is heavier than fat) Even my husband noticed I was looking better.
However I wanted to see it in the scales, I was still way to heavy and I was still overweight. So a month ago I joined weight watchers online and now follow the points plan. It is going really well and Im seeing it as a new way of eating not just a diet. Im actually really enjoying it. However I just wasnt budging the weight at all.

A week ago I decided to try not eating carbs at night and so far Ive lost maybe a kilo. So I know this is good and may be the key but seriously....why arent I losing weight????

Ive gone from no excercise and a bad lifestyle to lots of excercise and eating really well. I would have thought after 3 months Id have done better than 1kg?? Even the 3 months I was just eating better and no excercise I lost 4 kg. I know Ive made muscle and toned up but its not like Ive lost a dress size or anything and Im still overweight despite all the hard work.

Has anyone else had this, I mean found that you just cannot lose weight no matter what? Im starting to think I may have a medical problem or something.
angel81

Postby kate_turner2000 » Mon Dec 04, 2006 3:47 pm

hi there angel
thanks for sharing your story with us. i know i had something hit me like lightening one day- i needed to do something about my weight whether i liked it or not. i know kim (a fellow member) had the saem sort of thing happen to her- it just hit her.
sounds like you have reached a bit of a plateau. try and up your water intake, do different types of exercise. sometimes having a meal you wouldnt usually have shakes things up again and you start the weightloss again. change your meals around- maybe have what you have for dinner for lunch and what you have for lunch have for dinner. best wishes and i hope everything starts working for you again :)
kate_turner2000

Postby KimE » Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:26 pm

Hello Angel and welcome to the forum.

Thanks for sharing a part of your life with us it is appreciated.

Yes I certainly understand the awakening as it were. It no longer becomes "I'd love to lose weight" or "I will try to lose weight" it becomes "this fat is going and it starts today!".

It's hard to say why you aren't losing weight as quickly as you would like as there are so many factors that can affect this. Perhaps keeping a food and exercise diary if you don't already. Especially the food diary as it is easy to have extra food that doesn't seem like much that can add up during the day. I agree with Kate and the water try to get in 2ltrs per day. You may be carbohydrate sensitive and that's why the cutting out of carbs at night has seen fairly quick results. There may be a bit of trial and error ahead for you till you get the right balance for your body.

Failing all that perhaps getting a check up with your doc, there are a few conditions I believe that can affect weight loss.

Keep going Angel and let us know how you go. Whatever you do, don't give up and remember your body will be loving the exercise you are doing.
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Thanks

Postby angel81 » Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:57 pm

Thanks so much for the replies.
As I said Im doing weight watchers so that involves keeping a diary and tallying points so I know Im eating well and not cheating. I also drink at least 2 litres of water a day.
It is so frustrating, my brain just keeps thinking why, why, why???
angel81

Postby KimE » Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:04 pm

Specifically, what sort of exercise are you doing?
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

excercise

Postby angel81 » Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:39 am

Monday 1-2hrs of step class, tuesday 1 hour of pump (weights class), wednesday 1 hour of dance aerobics, thursday 1 hour boxing class, friday 1 hr step/pump combo class. Sometimes on sundays I will do an hour pump class too.
I feel this gives me a good cardio and weights combo.
angel81

Postby yummymummy » Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:08 am

Wow it really seems like you are doing everything right so it must be very frustrating not to be dropping weight :cry: is your body shape changing ? maybe you are loosing fat and gaining muscle?? or it may take a while for your body to kick into fat burning mode and if thats the case you may all a sudden see a big change. Hang in there your doing fab !!good on you for learning to love exercise its still such a chore for me
Jody
Jody

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w3enhEK/]
[/url]
yummymummy

Postby bluebox451 » Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:09 am

Hi there, I was in the same boat, eating healthy foods and not dropping weight when I thought to check up on portion sizes - I did a bit of research on people who had successfully completed 12 week challenges and when I compared my portion sizes to theirs I went :o
Dont forget that even healthy foods can hinder your efforts if you eat too much of them. It may seem hard at first but your body will get used to it after a while - just like you got used to the gym :) Well done for persevering and not giving up "because its just too hard" as many others do :D
Liz.
bluebox451

Yo yo dieting

Postby Pepper » Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:45 pm

Hi Angel,

You say you were overweight for about 3 years (when you were 100kg). Have you ever had a weight problem prior to this time? Yo yo dieting (start-stopping new ones all the time) can contribute to slow losses even when you're doing all the right things. Your metabolism gets more stubborn as you get older, although I'm guess the 81 following your nick is indicative of your age? In which case you're not that old.

I can feel your frustration. I managed to lose over 60kg in under a year (many years) ago, now it takes me a year to lose a third of that!!!! :x

Our bodies are creatures of habit, and sometimes changing the routine upsets our body more than our mind wants to acknowledge. If you lost 4kg in 3 months with just good eating, but then in the next 3 months only lost 1kg AFTER adding exercise, my advice would be to ease of the exercise, or at least, change the type of activity. You may be building muscle, which weighs more than fat, and although it may show in your measurements won't register on the scales.

I believe it is a matter of frequency rather than duration. That is, better to do 20 solid minutes 4 or 5 times a week than it is to do 1-2 hours 3 times a week.

But then, what would I know....I am over 100kg and trying to get down to double digits is taking foooooorrrrrrrrreeeeevvvvvver!!! :x

Keep at it though, and remember "a loss is a loss" no matter how small, and it is better than no loss at all !! :wink:
Strong people don't walk away from the truth, only the excuses others try to sell them.
Pepper

Postby Ally » Fri Dec 29, 2006 5:52 am

Hey Angel I know it can be frustrating mate, but just don't give up! I know how easy it is when the weight loss slows down or even stops to just start thinking self-destructive thoughts and then the eating follows.....

Your exercise routine looks great and I think that if you are eating correctly and doing all that exercise each week that you are building muscle. This can be very frustrating as you are trying really hard and not seeing any physical results. Do you measure yourself Angel? I know from a lot of stories I have read in slimming mags (inc the WW one) that a lot of people who had the same prob said that their "saving grace" was the tape measure.

Also with the amount of exercise you are doing maybe you need to give your body one day off?? I think it was Kim in an earlier post on the forum said that you should give your body a break when you are doing a lot of exercise?? (help me out here Kim!!)

I will stop rambling and just say that if you know you are eating right and you are doing a lot of varied exercise then you will start to see the results soon!! :wink:
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGLHYSm/]
[/url]
Ally

Postby Groovychic » Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:57 am

I agree with Pepper. You may be thinking your portion size is fine but then you are actually eating more than you are supposed to. Do you weigh your food??? To get an accurate portion size you really need to weigh your food for a while. It makes a huge difference if you cut down the size of your meal at night. One lady I knew (who was in her 50's as well....being older makes it even harder to lose weight!) cut down her portion of her tea to half and lost about 30 kgs in 6 months. That and increased her exercise to 30 min walk a day. She wasnt a person who did no exercise prior to weight loss either.

You also need to remember that you are most likely still putting on muscle as well. It is soooooooo frustrating! You should measure yourself as well. If you haven't already done so, get someone at the gym to take your measurements and check in with them once a month to get them to take them again and compare your results. Its much better to go by cm loss rather than the scale loss.

Good luck Angel. Keep your spirits up mate.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wSt8KHJ/]
[/url]

Keep Smiling!!!
Groovychic

Postby Ally » Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:04 am

Geez Rochelle that is amazing 30kg in 6 months just by cutting down her dinner.... :shock: that is definately something to look into!
[/url]
Ally

Postby Groovychic » Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:19 am

It has always been a problem of mine as well Ally. My dinner is just too large. But by the time I have put the salad or vegies on the plate I only have a small piece of meat or whatever anyway but it is too much. Even tho you think o healthy vegies its still too much. And I just thought of another thing Angel, eat earlier in the evening. Try to have dinner by 7pm. I always try to do that. With the damn daylight saving its even harder but I am starting to get there now. We eat by 7 then I go for a 15 min walk with the dog. Only problem with that is that it revs me up and I am finding it hard to go to sleep before about 10.30. This from someone who was asleep by 9!!! I've always been up by 6 in the morning so it is making me have less sleep than I would like. Damn politicians. Just cos they want to go to the beach after work! Gawd help me when the kids go back to school. I tried to get them to go to bed at 8.45 last night but nope no way. They whinged and said but it's still light outside, which it was!!! They have to be up at 7 in the morning so I like them in bed at 8.30 when they have school the next day. As it is Ash has just surfaced and Alex is still snoring!!!

Anyway sorry about losing track of the whole thread!!! I need a good slap again.
[/url]

Keep Smiling!!!
Groovychic

Postby Ally » Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:59 pm

SSSSMMMAAACCKKKK!!!!There you go Rochelle not as good as Dolly's boot, but a smack all the same!! LOL :P
[/url]
Ally

Postby Groovychic » Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:04 pm

Hahaha Ally. It knocked me off my chair mate! But I had to get off it anyway cos I need to jump on the cross trainer to add some kms to the new challenge. We are going to Darwin mate!
[/url]

Keep Smiling!!!
Groovychic

Next

Return to True Stories