It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:23 am

Free Newsletter

FASTING

Tell us about your weight loss successes and experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

FASTING

Postby orily1 » Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:56 pm

I have tried every new diet out there, the last one i gave a try was the fasting diet, which basically meant just that...fasting.. for an entire week or two. But since i tend to suffer from bothersome migraines i wasn't able to follow it because as i came to realise, me being hungry resulted in skull splitting migraines. Which would not cease until i had a bite to eat. And so out went my fasting diet and i was back to my normal 2-1 meal a day. Unfortunately most of this was just chips, plus i would drink once can of coke a day but i would reason out that i compensate for it by drinking 2litres of water a day ( yes i actually do drink 2 litres of water a day.... am weird like that :D ).

So to make a long story short now that i've decided to take seriously my weightloss challenge, i started by giving myself a whole makeover which included me cutting my hair ( am now a proud owner of a short bob) to mark this whole new transition am undergoing. And the last one is trying to get a good night rest so that i can be up feeling fresh and ready to exercise. The rest i make up as i go along LOL!! but i will keep everyone uptodate.
orily1

Postby Ally » Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:20 pm

Hi Orily, I think that the fasting diet sounds a bit extreme!!! No wonder you were getting headaches!! I dieted for years and tried everything imaginable, but I have found that sensible eating (allowing "treats" every so often and eating healthy most of the time) has worked for me...I am not on a diet, just a lifestyle change which means sensible eating and healthy choices. So far I have managed to drop 13 kilos and although it has not fallen off overnight, it is consistent. Quick fixes are not the answer mate, we didn't pile on those unwanted kilos in a couple of weeks and it sure takes a lot of hard work to get rid of them....Eat healthy and exercise regularly is the key!!! I hope you find your happy medium!! :wink:
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGLHYSm/]
[/url]
Ally

Postby kate_turner2000 » Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:33 am

extreme alright!! but i suppose in hindsight you can say 'well that doesnt work and its probably not the best way for me to lose weight'. alot of people need to try different ways of losing weight to find something that works for them. but its important to stay healthy as well.

enjoy your new bob!
kate_turner2000

Postby Groovychic » Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:39 am

Welcome to the forum Orily. Your body needs food, hence the migrains telling you that! One good place to start a weight loss journey is to start writing down everything you eat, drink and exercise. Do that for a few weeks and you will see where you can change things. It may be cutting out softdrink. Or chocolate or whatever. Just make one change at a time. Another good thing to do is to take your body measurements. Try to find someone to do that for you. I have measured my bust, waist(at navel) and hips. That is giving me a fair idea of what is happening. The scales say I have lost about 2 kgs but my measurements say I have lost about 16cm! Plus my clothes fit heaps better! I just measure myself every few months to see how it's going. And as Ally said, allowing yourself that treat every so often is certainly not going to hurt you. Everything in moderation. If you usually have a whole can of coke, just have half, or if you usually eat a whole mars bar, go the mini size! Dont sit there and think ooooooo I would love to eat that chocolate but I know I can't. It just gets the better of you and you end up having a pig out session. I'm speaking from experience here mate!!!! :oops: :oops: Good luck with it all. We are here to support you in your lifestyle change, because that is what it has to become or else you end up like a yoyo!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wSt8KHJ/]
[/url]

Keep Smiling!!!
Groovychic

Postby laura » Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:15 am

Fasting is pretty extreme. I don't have experience with diets, this is the first time I try to lose weight but I did some research before I decided what to do. There are sites on internet that will tell you depending on your height, weight, censored and age what is your basal energy need. This is the energy your body needs to survive without doing exercise, this is the energy you need for your heart to beat, to breath, to keep your body temperature constant and so on. Mine is about 1450 cal/day. On top of that you need energy for your daily living activities and exercise you do. To keep you healthy you body needs at least 1200 cal/day intake. If you burn 2000 cal/day with your basal needs and the exercise you do and eat only 1200 cal/day, you will have a deficit of 800 cal/day that will be taken from your body reserves :wink: . 1kg of fat is about 8000 cal, so if your deficit is 800cal/day in 10 days you will lose 1 kg. From what I managed to find out the best results are with a good diet, 1200-1500 cal/day combined with exercise. This is what I do, and I try to find ways to burn more calories instead of cutting the food.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wVPFGZa/]
[/url]
laura

Postby Ally » Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:42 am

Sounds very sensible Laura!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGLHYSm/]
[/url]
Ally

Postby Groovychic » Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:23 am

Good research Laura. I try to keep my calories around the 1300 a day.......hhhmmm not very good at doing that at the moment. With the exercise I do I can get it down to about that but without the exercise I would be around 1600 per day. But I also have the mentality that if I exercise heaps then I can eat more, which you shouldnt do! You should try to keep your eating at the same level each day, with or without the exercise. So I need to get out of that train of thought. Quick where's the next stop! I'll push the emergency button I think!!! :lol:
[/url]

Keep Smiling!!!
Groovychic

Postby Pinkie » Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:32 am

I've done fasting, well sort of. I went to a health retreat years and years ago and the first 2.5 days was juices and lots of water. Fruit juices and vege juices - and they are the natural ones where you have to have a juice machine!! LOL It was really pushing it, plus she worked you very hard (kind of what you see on Biggest Loser with the personal trainers). It certainly cleaned me out though. After the 2.5 days we went onto whole foods and my body was so happy to have something solid back in it again I can tell you!! :lol:

I've done that a couple of times since. It is a terrific way to get me cleaned out and starting again, but I guess it's not real fasting but detoxing mainly. It takes a very disciplined person to do it, and now I have kids and a hubby its very hard to do it while I need to prepare their meals. I think you guys are so right, look at it like a lifestyle change and monitor what you're eating. Everything in moderation!!
Pinkie xx

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wBH58xg/]
[/url]
Pinkie

THAK YOU ALL!!!

Postby orily1 » Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:55 am

Thank you all for your warm welcome and wonderful advice, the fasting one i realise was a bit extreme and its not one road i would like to undertake anytime soon. I will definately take all your advice on board, Thank you all again!!
orily1

Postby Chinta » Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:39 am

Congratulations on taking your weightloss by the horns orily...... you have started to make changes (including your hair), so you will succeed :D

Fasting is for blood tests and operations :lol:
ImageImage
Chinta

Postby kate_turner2000 » Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:28 pm

hey orily

its nice to see some new members taking advice on board. some start out and think they know it all. if they did know it all then whats the point of having a forum? lol. im sure you will succeed :)
kate_turner2000

Postby SarahC » Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:50 pm

The juice fasting sounds interesting, I bet you'd feel pretty good after a day or two of that :)

Another time when fasting is okay... the 40 Hour Famine. It's for charity so it has to be good :D
SarahC

Postby Groovychic » Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:10 pm

I would do the juice fasting instead of just not eating anything. Fresh juices are very nutritious. Especially if you are having the vege juice also. But I know I wouldnt be able to handle it. I like something to chew!
[/url]

Keep Smiling!!!
Groovychic

Postby hushpuppy » Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:59 pm

wow fasting would send me up the wall . i love my food (hence the 90 odd kgs ) moderation is the key
Jules
[url=http://www..com]Image[blinkiebee/url]
SW 107kg
CW 99.8kg
GW 65kg
hushpuppy

Postby KimE » Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:29 pm

Mmm that fasting does sound extreme. I don't think it really matters how many you try as the reason there are so many is we are all different. Hopefully you will hit upon something that works for you. In the meantime plenty of rest and exercise is a good start. Clean up any particularly bad eating habits ie junk food and go from there. Best of luck.
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Next

Return to True Stories