It is currently Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:23 pm

Free Newsletter

Tell us about your weight loss successes and experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby Dee » Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:42 pm

Ironically the best way to lose weight is by stimulating you metabolism - which you can only do by excersizing and eating! If you eat small regular meals your body 'knows' that it's got plenty of food around, so it doesn't store it as fat. If you fast your body goes into 'starvation mode' and stores EVERYTHING it can get for when there's no food - hence the weight gain.

But you seem to have it all figured out - well done and good luck.

Postby Chelle » Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:49 pm

fasting is a bit extreme but it is good that you have realised that it is not good for you & you have realised the bad reaction to fasting.
A good diet & exercising & drinking alot of water will have you on the track to lossing weight in no time..

Postby schnuckess » Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:01 am

Hi, fasting can be a wonderful experience, but you have to be in very good health and it has to happen during a time of rest, when not too much is happening in your life. I have done several fasts and have always come out refreshed and happy, especially when using fresh organic juices, which are extremely nutritious. It helps to flush your system and clear you mind.

However, even though fasting is wonderful for detoxing, it is a rather poor weight loss tool. Half of the weight you lose when fasting, you'll put back on. Also, it is important that a longer fast, eg. longer than a week, be supervised by a health professional, or nutritionist.

As Dee said, I have found for myself that when I deprive myself of food (eg. only eat once/twice day) I can't loose weight at all. For myself, I realised that grazing on lots of healthy fruit and raw vegetables is the best way to loose weight, plus one or two meals containing protein during the day. (Unfortunately I have been grazing on all the wrong things lately, hence my weight loss quest)

Which weight loss approach have you decided to take now?

Postby bryddjitt » Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:22 am

I lost weight by fasting alone. With one week of juice fasting I lost 9lbs. The only exercise I had was going to school everyday. Within 3 months I'd lost 50lbs. I swear by fasting, but obviously it doesn't work for everyone, just me I guess! Now I'm losing weight by eating weightwatchers meals and I've been losing 1-2lbs a day! :o But I've only been on it a week, so the amount I lose per day/week is obviously going to go down :(

Postby grugwashere » Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:51 am

fasting as in not eating for long periods of time?

i dont think thats very healthy... once you start to eat again it will pile back on.
GW: Somwhere in the 60's for now

Next mini goal:73kg

Postby madeline » Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:48 pm

Extreme diets work but you suffer :? About a year ago I went off starch carbs completely, no pasta, bread, rice, cereal, or potato... no fruit even, just meat and veggies. I lost 3 kgs in a week which was heaps for me, but I almost fainted while crossing a main road. Well that scared the cr*p out of me...
"Ððñ'† µ wï§h ¥ðµr gïrl£rïêñÐ wå§ hð† lïkê mê, Ððñ'† ¥å ßåߥ ;)"
CW- 57kgs, GW- 53kgs (8kgs lost!)

Postby Playboy_bunny » Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:53 pm

Oh god madeline! Almost fainting thats terrible...thats how I felt when I restricted carbs on Celeb slim...for me it just wasnt doable...I definately dont think i could do a fast...and it would be hard to keep the weight off

Postby boondoggle » Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:52 pm

Don't fast. I'm sure you have heard this before and I'm not saying I haven't done it myself but I have learnt over the years that fasting seriously doesn't work!

When you fast, your body burns fat and muscle for energy. This means that when you get on the scale you weigh less...of course...but really you are setting yourself up for failure because you are making you body less efficient at burning calories. The more you fast, the more worried you body gets that there is no food available, so it starts to hold on to everything its get you through this apparent food shortage...
In order to make you body work for you, you have to build muscle. The more muscle you build, the faster you metabolism will become, and so the more calories you will burn naturally. I don't mean you have to become muscle woman...but having a healthy amount of muscle makes you all the more likely to loose weight and keep it off! Also, once you loose all the weight you will be able to keep it off because your muscles will help stabilize your weight, when you start eating more.
The reason people often put all their weight back on once they resume normal eating is because they have no muscle left, thus their body has a hard time burning calories.

Sorry if I am telling you things you already know, but for some reason it took me years of dieting to figure this out so I thought I'd pass on the knowledge if it helps lol.

Good Luck!!
SW: 90kg
CW: 90kg
GW: 55kg

Postby ProudMumOf1 » Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:07 pm

I realise this is a very old post lol but to me in my honest opinion fasting = starving = some sort of eatting disorder??????
Jennifer (Single Mum) 22

SW - 93kg on 12.01.08
CW - 84.3kg on 29.03.08
GW - 65kg

3rd MINI GOAL - 78kg (15kg lost) = $50 into Clothing Kitty ($150 TTL)

Return to True Stories