It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:34 am

Free Newsletter

Hi just wanted to share my vegetarian diet storey

Tell us about your weight loss successes and experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

Hi just wanted to share my vegetarian diet storey

Postby vegkyles » Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:40 am

Hi all,
Just wanted to share with you all my weight loss storey. I am 28 years old and approx 3 weeks ago I decided that I had enough of my weight going up and down and this time I was going to do it and stick to it. My starting weight was 70kgs and today I weighed in at 65.5kgs. I’ve lost 4.5kgs in 3 weeks but I have been very strict with my diet and lots of exercise. My goal weight is around 60kgs.
This is how I did it, it is really quite easy – especially if you are an animal lover.
I thought “how can I make myself eat healthy and keep the weight off once I loose itâ€￾ then my brain kicked in to help out and I came up with the idea of been vegetarian for while if I am a vegetarian I can’t eat Macca’s KFC or red rooster – great, I thought, this is it! My initial plan was to be vegetarian until I was at my goal weight and then slowing introduce a little meat back into my diet.
So I got on the net and started searching for vegetarian recipes – been an animal lover, what I found brought a tear to my eye. I won’t go into it as they say not to preach about eating animals but if you do a search on the net about been vegetarian, if you love animals as much as I do and would hate to think they suffer because we want to eat meat you will find it very easy to become a vegetarian.
There is also a video clip on you tube (I think) called “Meet your Meatâ€￾ every time the thought crosses my mind to eat meat I think of this clip, it has worked wonders for me so far. If you do a search on the net you will find it.
If you are worried about protein, iron etc the sites will explain that meat eaters consume double the amount of protein they are suppose to and all these can be obtained from fruit, veges, breads, pasta, nuts etc. You just have to make sure you have a good variety of these each day.
It has been a little hard for my husband to adjust to me been a vegetarian but there are so many yummy vegetarian dishes you can make. I have told him if he wants to eat meat he will have to cook it himself – so he just eats what I eat for dinner. We have eaten out a few times and even this is easier than I thought.
There are still lots of naughty stuff you can eat like chips, cakes, ice cream, veg pizza etc so if you want to loose weight you have to keep these to a minimum. I am also trying to cut dairy products out my diet – one step at a time.
I have also noticed that some of you are teenagers and maybe still living at home. If you really want to be a vegetarian I suggest you print some of the stuff off that you find on the net and show your parents they should then be supportive of your decision and maybe even join you.
So that’s my storey thanks for taking the time to read it and I sincerely hope that if you decide to become a vegetarian it works as well for you.
Kylie
ANIMALS HAVE FEELINGS TO!
vegkyles

Postby kate_turner2000 » Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:22 am

its good to hear how some one has lost weight by becoming a vegetarian and seeing things from the point of view of a vegetarian :) however i love meat! yum yum!
kate_turner2000

Postby Draco » Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:23 pm

I actually slaughter and butcher my own meat because I feel so strongly about that particular issue.
I know exactly how my steak was kept in life, how it was killed/butchered (and I usually know what it's name was too ;) )
I can comfortably say that I look my food in the eye.

But just like any issue, animal cruelty is one pocketed with grey areas, not just black and white.
There are plenty of commercial practices that seem terribly cruel to the average Joe, but when you are shown the alternatives, are often the kindest way to do things. .. and yes, there are some awfully cruel people about too.
But the majority of commercial growers are human with consciences like you and I who care deeply for their charges and take great care of them... Just normal people going about their jobs the best way they know how..

And just like every issue that people feel strongly about, there will always be propaganda and passion-fueled exhibitions. (from both sides)

The best thing anybody can do is to be aware - to support conscientious producers and resalers and demand enforcement/monitoring of regulation.

Vegetarianism works for some people, sure.. But I disagree with the scare tactics and the alarmist garbage that an awful lot of those websites put out.
~die of nothing but a rage to live~

Draco

Postby Vegetable » Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:26 pm

A lot of those foods you said were ok to eat then actually are not suitable for vegetarians, cakes, ice cream in particular 99% of the time contain animal fat. Things like gelatine (made from the bones, skin, hoofs and tendons of cows fish pigs etc) is in many cakes, yoghurt, slices, jelly, all sorts of things and often goes by different names. Their are many hidden animal products in the food we eat, from what chips get fried in, to things like rennet that is found in cheese. If you are serious about being a vego,(particularly if it is from the animal rights perspective as opposed to just a weightloss one) I would do some more research. A friend of mine became vegan about 8 years ago, and actually became anaemic. If you are not having meat, your body will be lacking iron so you have to ensure that you are eating lots of beans and pulses (kidney beans, etc) and dark green leafy vegetables to keep up your iron intake. ( I do also have a few friends who are vegan, and who are in great health) Do some more research if you are serious about it xx
Vegetable

Postby Vegetable » Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:28 pm

I want to add too that I am absolutely NOT a vegetarian, :lol: I couldnt do it, but I do agree with the above post, the scare tactics of some of these websites are just disgusting and dispicable.
Vegetable

Postby Green_Butterfly » Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:35 pm

lately i have found myself eating less and less meat by choice.

for example, when i am out- i find the vegetarian alternatives much more fresh, yummy and lower calorie.

although the second i said to myself "you are vegetarian, you cant eat meat" i would crave it and go and eat an entire packet of ham!

but eating little meat is working well for me .

**Bec**
Life's a garden, dig it!!!
Green_Butterfly

Postby vegkyles » Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:24 pm

thanks for all your comments i am no way against people that eat meat and would not expect anyone to be against me for chosing to eat vegetarian foods. I just found this worked for me because been vegetarian means i have to think more about what i am going to eat. I would be really interested to hear if anyone else has had the same success been vege or any other tips they can share.
Kylie
ANIMALS HAVE FEELINGS TO!
vegkyles

Postby kate_turner2000 » Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:59 pm

i know sarah is a vegetarian :) im sure she will have some great input :)
kate_turner2000

Postby SarahC » Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:25 pm

Hehe here I am :lol:

Sorry it's a bit late in the day for anything intelligable :( I have heard of the "Meet your Meat" video through Cruelty Free shop (which is also a great website!). I haven't watched it, I would probably have nightmares lol. When I was in high school we saw a MacDonald's video for business studies and they showed the cows being slaughtered. It was horrific and I became vegetarian almost instantly lol! Such beautiful creatures just killed off like that, like their lives mean nothing :cry:

It is very hard with all the food additives that are around to be completely vegan. There's animal products in nearly everything! :evil:

I think being vegetarian is extremely easy (unless you drive yourself crazy looking at every single ingredient in everything :roll: ) and can't understand why anyone would ever want to eat dead animal flesh :? (sorry!)

I have ants crawling over my desk... and I cannot make myself squash the horrible little things! I hate ants :evil:
SarahC

Postby Fairie » Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:54 am

I grew up on a farm and we Butchered / Killed our own meat and now my Hubby hunts for our meat. We have mostly Venison, some Rabbits, Chicken & Lamb (we breed our own) and Fish that is freshly caught. (Hubby loves fishing) We also grow our own vege's, lots of them

I have nothing against anyone not wanting to eat meat that is there choice and if I had to buy my meat from the shop I think I would become a vegetarian. There is so much taste difference between "home grown" meat and shop bought. We also have friends that own a Fruit & Veg shop and they prefer to eat our vege's at home.
-Fay-

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wSDGUdx/]
[/url]
Fairie

Postby kate_turner2000 » Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:12 am

mmm nothing like home grown vegies :)
kate_turner2000

Postby Dee » Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:08 am

Some ex-friends of mine thought it would be a hilarious joke to put on this movie of an abbatoir (I have a notoriously queazy stomache about things like this and they wanted to see if I could handle it.)

Well, I didn't eat a scrap of meat for about 7 years after that! I have just begun to eat some lean chicken and fish - to get protein levels up - but I still can't handle the thought of red meat without images coming to flash back at me... Now there's a job I could NEVER do.

But like everything else this is all about personal preferences - right?

Dee
[url=http://www.phenforum.com/ticker/]
[/url]
Dee

Postby Sassygirl » Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:50 am

I tend to eat a lot of chicken and fish - cannot really remember the last time that I ate a steak ....... I remember seeing a cattle truck when I was a lot younger, on the way to their doom, we pulled up beside them at a traffic light and I saw these big brown eyes staring right at me ...... I felt soooo horrible and sad for them. :cry:
2008 - my year to be great!!

Sassygirl

Postby KimE » Sat Feb 24, 2007 6:46 pm

A good thing for protein if you are vegetarian is combining foods. Combining pulses with grains or with nuts and/or seeds gives all the amino acids to make complete proteins. Eg. chickpeas and coucous, bean salad and tabouli, beans and corn chips, dhal and pitta bread. Although if you still have dairy products it may not be such an issue.

Good luck to everyone whatever you choose but I think Vegetable is right, Vegkyles, the more research the better then you can also make sure you are not missing out on anything your body needs.

Prune juice is really high in iron btw, plus the obvious fibre benefit. I have read (not sure of validity) that 200ml glass is approx the daily iron intake required for females.
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby Ally » Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:24 am

Geez Kim thanks for that info on prune juice!! I always find I am a bit lagging when TTOTM month hits and I hate iron tablets...cool I am off to the shops Monday to get some prune juice!!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGLHYSm/]
[/url]
Ally

Next

Return to True Stories