It is currently Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:33 pm

Free Newsletter

Turning Point...

Tell us about your weight loss successes and experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby Ally » Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:20 pm

It sure is Deb.....put it this way my daughter asked me if I wanted a freddo frog before and I said no after having an image of Kate standing over me tsk tsking and waggling her finger and me and using my full name!!! :P :P :P
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGLHYSm/]
[/url]
Ally

Postby kate_turner2000 » Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:21 pm

thats what i like to hear!! glad im getting through to someone!
kate_turner2000

Postby slimmindown » Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:54 pm

the power of visual aids is also fantastic, you go Kate,waggle that finger :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
[no excuses, I can do it!
slimmindown

Postby Ally » Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:33 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :P :P :P I have resisted chocolate today!!! yay....just have to get through the evening!! Kate....send me a pic of you wagging your finger at me....I am gonna stick it on my fridge, freezer, pantry........
[/url]
Ally

Postby kate_turner2000 » Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:33 pm

will take one on the weekend hehehe
kate_turner2000

Postby Ally » Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:36 pm

I will be awaiting patiently!!! :P
[/url]
Ally

Postby KimE » Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:15 pm

LOL Ally you got us all on your case now.

And just think you only got 10kgs to go to be at your first goal. :D
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby Ally » Fri Mar 23, 2007 5:35 am

hehe yeah I am getting the impression that I am being watched everywhere I go....just can't shake that feeling!! LOL :P
[/url]
Ally

Postby vanessa0305 » Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:00 am

I can't imagine how mortified you were!

My moment was really a number of moments over a week. The first one was me standing on the scales and them reading 101kgs.

The second came when I found out that my hubby had gone to see my parents to find out how to put me on a diet without hurting my feelings. (my dad's reply was "good luck mate!"). This made me angry and I used that angry to make me to get off my ass and get to work. Every time I slacked off I would remember the conversation which made me angry and made me work harder......somewhere along the line I stopped being angry and started to enjoy the new life I was leading. I began to feel good about myself and then I was doing it for me.

When I confronted my parents about the conversation my very helpful father said to me..."Honey your taking it out of context, we were discussing how fat woman are unattractive and no good in bed!" Poor hubby begged him to stop helping!
Vanessa

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/woi7sgh/]
[/url]
vanessa0305

Postby A_Corner_Of_The_Earth » Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:15 pm

vanessa0305 wrote:..."Honey your taking it out of context, we were discussing how fat woman are unattractive and no good in bed!" Poor hubby begged him to stop helping!

If I heard this I would have gone off my rocker! Even if it was meant jokingly. There are some things that you just don't joke about.

Opps that just hit a nerve because my parents, especially my mother are always on my back for me to lose the weight I have gained. I don't see them very often and when I do my weight is always the first thing my mother comments on.

That and 'if you want to keep your man, you have to look after your body and take pride" blah blah blah.

GW1 - 70kgs
GW2 - 67kgs
GW3 - 60kgs
A_Corner_Of_The_Earth

Postby mojo247 » Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:59 am

the problem with our parents is that although they mean well and only want the best for us, they often have no idea how to get you motivated to lose the weight (or to lose weight themselves) so they just exacerbate the issue...

no one used to nag as much as my folks, infact we used to almost kill each other, i'm amazed our neighbours are still there!

what worked for me was getting off my ass and giving it a decent crack. as soon as my folks saw that i was motivated and that i was doing things right, the nagging turned into encouragement, to the point where my mum loves taking me shopping for clothes, and both my parents have started incorporating walking into their
daily routines, they're so cute when they put their sneakers on and go in the evenings...

ultimately no one can do it for you...
mojo247

Postby kate_turner2000 » Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:56 am

mojo247 wrote: getting off my ass and giving it a decent crack. ...

you said it!
kate_turner2000

Postby A_Corner_Of_The_Earth » Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:40 am

mojo247 wrote:the problem with our parents is that although they mean well and only want the best for us, they often have no idea how to get you motivated to lose the weight (or to lose weight themselves) so they just exacerbate the issue...

no one used to nag as much as my folks, infact we used to almost kill each other, i'm amazed our neighbours are still there!

what worked for me was getting off my ass and giving it a decent crack. as soon as my folks saw that i was motivated and that i was doing things right, the nagging turned into encouragement, to the point where my mum loves taking me shopping for clothes, and both my parents have started incorporating walking into their
daily routines, they're so cute when they put their sneakers on and go in the evenings...

ultimately no one can do it for you...

I never had a problem with weight when I was a child and a teenager. My mother enrolled me in every sport and extra curricula activity you can imagine. I did tennis, netball, little athletics, ballet, tap, jazz, singing, drama classes, clarinet lessons and horse riding. I loved doing all of it. I met my partner when I was 20 and I weighed 50kgs. I started to gain weight when I was 21. The stresses of uni, falling in love, work and no time to exercise or eat right saw my weight increasing. The constant stress of studying to keep my GPA up, mooting competitions, working as a researcher for a barrister, and competing with hundreds of other law students to get articles at a top tier firm saw me putting my weight gain at a poor second.

Yes, my mother thinks that pointing out my “flaws" will motivate me to lose the weight. I have tried talking to her but she has never had a weight problem in her life. Ever since I can remember she's been a size 8 does very little exercise, just naturally skinny (I wish she passed more of her genes on to me, instead I have my father's mother's build). So she really doesn't understand. But I'm not doing this for her, nor do I need her encouragement or support. I am doing this for me and I've got the strength, determination and motivation to see me get to my goal. I learnt a long time ago to stop trying to meet my mother's expectations because all the good things I did achieve were never good enough for her. I remember my graduation day, I graduated with First Class Honours and my mother couldn't even say she was proud of me. That's her issue to deal with but I don't have much contact with her so her criticisms of me don’t get me down.

I work 10 hour days and still manage to fit in 2 hours of exercise most days and eating right so getting of my arse is working: lol:

GW1 - 70kgs
GW2 - 67kgs
GW3 - 60kgs
A_Corner_Of_The_Earth

Postby aramat1980 » Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:56 am

I'm Proud of you :!:
aramat1980

Postby kate_turner2000 » Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:08 am

A_Corner_Of_The_Earth wrote: But I'm not doing this for her, nor do I need her encouragement or support.

yeah i didnt lose weight for my mum either, she is tall and thin- dont knwo where i got my fat stocky body from, however i would love my mothers encouragement and support, i am sure it wouldve made my weightloss journey that bit more fulfilling and enjoyable if i had my own mothers support. unfortunately my family have a weird sense of humour and sorta shrug things off.

mick has been my pillar of support. however i wouldve really liked to have had my mothers support.

p.s. i know what you mean about your mum not saying she is proud of you. until i met mick i never had anyone say they were proud of me for anything! he was shocked when i told him that a few years ago. my mum was travelling during my final years at school and the start of my child care course. she came to my graduation for my child care diploma which was a sit down dinner and left half way through it! but theres no changing her, thats who she is.
kate_turner2000

PreviousNext

Return to True Stories