It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:23 am

Free Newsletter

monday 14th nov...so far

Tell us about your weight loss successes and experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby carla » Tue Nov 15, 2005 4:28 pm

Tas: do you put your thyroxine in the fridge? Apparently it can lose its potency if not refridgerated (not...not freezer)

Dolly and butterfly dawn:

Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions. Yes, I have tried about 4 different anti-d's now. I do know they can be beneficial for giving your brain a break from irrationality, mood swings and so on. When I started using them, about eight years or so ago now, I was a right mess. Admittedly, had very recently divorced, etc but I had never at all really done much about depression prior to this time. I have had a long time now to learn what I can about it and am now far more aware of my thought processes, triggers and so on than back then. Anti-d's really did give me the opportunity to begin to confront and explore this, but now I know I am ready to 'deal' without them. I just needed to acknowledge 'out loud' as much to myself as to the forum, this 'disease' because ignoring it will just lead to my downfall more easily. I have seen psychiatrists and psychologists. I have not generally found a lot of help in these departments but out of the two, I definately prefer psychologists. I should add that I like reading books written by good psychologists...(Stephanie Dowrick, for instance.) It can be a very expensive journey, otherwise.

I have been thinking of the possibility of resuming some kind of counselling but more along the lines of life-coaching. There is just something about seeing psychologists and so on, that keeps one feeling 'sick', if they are seen in the capacity of 'oh god, Im all mixed up and I need help'.
What I know I need now is to set goals and meet them, realistically. Depression, overall, is a sense of loss of control in your life, a loss of a sense of self-efficacy and a resultant loss of self-esteem. Many more people (possibly women especially but that's just a biased hunch) suffer depression to more or less degrees and may not even be able to name it.

I am very grateful for all input. Hope I dont sound 'precious'. Just attempting to clarify things :)
carla

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Tue Nov 15, 2005 4:55 pm

well good luck with it! I subscribe to a general branch of psychology called 'positive psychology' which basically translates to "hang on, people have been living for millenia with natural disasters, bad stuff happening etc, sure sometimes people need help, but how come all of a sudden when something screws up everyone needs conselling?".

The idea is, people are ostly resilient, so we should be focussing on encouraging those factors rather than looking for illness and prescribing care.
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby Fairie » Tue Nov 15, 2005 5:19 pm

Hi Carla,

That took courage to post what you had to eat and how you feel for the whole world to see.

Good Luck with your goals. :D
-Fay-

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wSDGUdx/]
[/url]
Fairie

Postby carla » Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:46 pm

haha fairie...

If I thought the whole world would be looking, I doubt I would have posted it...

but if the whole world wants to have a look I guess Im damned now

:D
carla

Postby Maraver » Fri Nov 18, 2005 5:25 am

P.S. Take note of the above post. There are more than one type of andti-d med. However my personal point of view is that if you have thought processes that you don't want, you need to address these in ways other than with medication. I believe there are some people whose depression is ultimately chemically induced alone, but for most people, I don't think meds are the be-all and end-all although they can help stabilise your moods in the short term so you can work through the issues. Just a personal view through

True words, my depression is best described as things that are happening in my life that I can't control, and I think that is why anti- D's don't help me, but I am sure they would if I was chemically imbalanced
Pam
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wcPPfC1/]
[/url]
Maraver

Previous

Return to True Stories