It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:02 am

Free Newsletter

A little loss leads to a lot of happiness...

Tell us about your weight loss successes and experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

A little loss leads to a lot of happiness...

Postby Mandie » Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:16 am

**Note: When I say a "little" loss, I am fully aware that 20-30kg is not a small amount of weight to lose. I just mean that in the context of my large starting weight, I'm still obese and nowhere near my goal weight yet!

I used to weigh around 140kg. I never really weighed myself at that time, but when I first saw a dietician, I fasted for 2 days before she weighed me, and I came in at 138kg. So I figure I was approximately 140kg.

Over a period of approximately 6 months, I lost almost 30kg. My lowest recorded weight was 110kg. I've maintained this loss (more or less) for the last 18 months, with my weight fluctuating between 110kg and 120kg.

The difference it has made to my life has been incredible.

At 140kg, I barely fit in aeroplane seats. I was buying size 26 pants and size 20 tops. I looked like a giant blob. I got asked to leave an amusement park ride because the safety harness wouldn't close properly over my giant stomach. I was too big to enjoy shopping, too self conscious to dance/go out, and too shy to go swimming.

Now - I'm obese, but because of my proportions, I fit into size 16 tops and size 16-18 bottoms (depending on the brand). I have definition in my face, I can see my collarbones, and I can feel my hip bones. I fit into aeroplane seats, I can go on any amusement park ride (and have done!). I love shopping (and spend way too much money on clothes), I love going out, I dance up a storm (and who cares if I'm unco?) and I wear a two piece bathing suit (okay, it's a tankini.. baby steps!).

I have so much more confidence in myself. I no longer look like a giant blob. I think I look pretty, there are lots of things about my body that I like. I think I can look pretty sexy in my underwear.

(my boyfriend thinks so too)

This relatively small loss (in the scheme of things, my loss is small - I still have about 50kg to go) has made such a MASSIVE difference to my life. I am LIVING now. I'm not afraid anymore. I like going to the gym, I like feeling my body get stronger. I am not embarrassed to buy size 16 clothes (because it beats a 20-something!) and I am not embarrassed to try new things.

It's amazing to me that I feel so good, and have so much confidence at this weight.

When I started losing weight, I thought it would take until I was at my goal weight to feel confident, buy nice clothes, try new sports, and get a boyfriend.

Not so!

I feel great now. I'm continuing on my weight loss journey with a focus on lifestyle changes that I can maintain long term. I'm doing it for me, for my health. Not to impress a guy, not because I hate myself.. but because I love myself, and I want to be the best person I can be.

...I wrote this because somebody wrote a little while ago about being discouraged about having a LOT of weight to lose. I thought I would write my story so that you can see that you will start to feel good LONG before your goal weight.. and you will get there! But you will start to enjoy the journey, just like I am... :D
Mandie

Postby Maraver » Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:00 am

Thankyou Mandie for sharing your story what a great positve way to start my morning, how well you have done and you will lose the rest slowly but surely
Pamxx
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wcPPfC1/]
[/url]
Maraver

Postby kate_turner2000 » Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:46 am

yep i agree with pam what a great start to the day :) you are an inspiration in yourself and even though you say you have to lose 50kg you have already come such a long way :) much love xoxo
kate_turner2000

Postby grugwashere » Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:19 am

:D Thankyou for this wonderful story :)

i agree when u start to notice you are losing weight the confidence comes back in leaps and bounds... :) good on you
SW:91kg
CW:75kg
GW: Somwhere in the 60's for now

Next mini goal:73kg
grugwashere

Postby sassi » Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:37 pm

thank you for sharing mandie - that was sd inspiring & articulated the changes & your feelings really well.

good luck with the rest of the journey :)
sassi

Postby Ally » Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:37 pm

Thankyou Mandie :D
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGLHYSm/]
[/url]
Ally

Postby Playboy_bunny » Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:02 pm

Good on you Mandie! I cant wait to feel as good as you do now! :D
LOL 'I dance up a storm and who cares if Im unco?' :lol: hahahahaha that is sooooo my attitude! hehe good on ya mate! :D
Image•·.·´¯`·.·•Gracie•·.·´¯`·.·•
Playboy_bunny

Postby Jisgone » Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:14 pm

aw what a happy story :)
its amazing how much losing weight can change your life, and your attitude.
when i go clubbing i get hit on now, i hve a bf so im not interested but its fun hehe
Jisgone

Postby Chelle » Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:18 pm

Thank's Mandie. Well done on your weightloss you are a true inspiration to all of us, thank's for sharing your story
Chelle

Postby A_Corner_Of_The_Earth » Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:20 pm

Thanks for sharing your journey with us Mandie.

GW1 - 70kgs
GW2 - 67kgs
GW3 - 60kgs
A_Corner_Of_The_Earth

Postby KimE » Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:12 pm

Thanks Mandie, that was a fantastic read. You come across very confident and having seen pics of you I know you are beautiful and hold yourself very well. :D

I too started to feel much more confident before reaching my goal and yes trying new things. I wasn't going to join the gym until I had lost 20kgs as a reward and found after losing 10kgs I was ready to jump right in and it ended up being my 10kg loss reward instead.
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby vanessa0305 » Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:43 pm

Wow, what a fantastic story to read. I guess it shows that self-confidence beats everything else hands down!
Vanessa

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/woi7sgh/]
[/url]
vanessa0305

Postby zeedeveelgirl » Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:55 pm

That's an awesome story, Mandie! I had no idea that you were much bigger! Good on you for losing that amount of weight, you deserve to feel fantastic even though you still have some to go! How awesome :D
zeedeveelgirl

Postby Mandie » Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:58 pm

Thanks everyone! :) It's so lovely to have your support :)

For those who are curious - here's my before/during pics thread...

http://www.weightloss.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2632
the first pic would have been around my heaviest weight, and the second pic is approximately what I look like now (taken Aug last year). I think the difference in my face is huge, maybe I was storing about 10kg there!!!
Mandie

Postby Playboy_bunny » Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:09 pm

woo woo mandie! :D You look fab in the before and afters hun! :D
Image•·.·´¯`·.·•Gracie•·.·´¯`·.·•
Playboy_bunny

Next

Return to True Stories