It is currently Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:37 am

Free Newsletter

Fettucine Carbonara Low Fat recipe required please!!

Share your favorite healthy recipes here.

Moderator: Moderators

Fettucine Carbonara Low Fat recipe required please!!

Postby jessica-rae » Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:40 pm

Hi guys and dolls,

My fiance LOVES carbonara but with all that cream, it is really not great for my hips. Or my spare tyre.

I tried a recipe I found that didn't use cream but used white wine. I didn't love it.

Does anyone have a low fat recipe? Maybe using evaporated skim milk or something similar? I've found some on the net which I'll try but I'll love to find something tried AND tested.

My 1st mini-goal:
127.4 kgs- $50 to spend at Lush!

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:10 pm

Substituting evaporated skim milk for the cream in a regular carbonara recipe sounds like a good idea. Unfortunately I have a vegan diet, so I've never tried it and can't give you definite advice. You could always just give it a go and make sure you have some Lean Cuisine meals in the freezer as a back-up in case it all goes horribly wrong!

When I was doing Weight Watchers someone had the tip of using evaporated skim milk and a little coconut essence instead of coconut cream in recipes. If that works in cooking I can't see any reason you couldn't substitute evaporated skim milk for cream in other recipes.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Postby Kareyn » Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:01 am

I use evaporated skim milk all the time, whenever something calls for cream thats what i use instead. I have made carbonara with it and it tastes great. Instead of using bacon, which is normally high in fat you could use either ww bacon or try chicken instead.
"How simple is it to see that we can only be happy now and there will never be a time when it isn't now!"

Postby zeedeveelgirl » Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:26 pm

Hi there :)

Didn't see this post before! I work for a fresh pasta shop/cafe type thing, and learnt not long ago that true Carbonara does not have cream - just eggs, parmesan and bacon.

Here's a recipe: ... carbonara/

You could easily make it low fat & low kJ by using the Kraft 33% Less Fat Parmesan cheese, and 97% Fat Free Bacon (instead of Pancetta) :)
And it's so simple :D

Re: Fettucine Carbonara Low Fat recipe required please!!

Postby Cheesebeard » Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:01 pm

It's not actually true that traditional Carbonara doesn't use cream. There are huge differences within Carbonara recipes depending on where in Italy you go; each region has a 'traditional' way of doing it. Using cream is more Northern Italian. But if you're trying to do a low fat version, lots of places sell half-fat cream now and it avoids the dry taste you get from the cheesier versions.

Re: Fettucine Carbonara Low Fat recipe required please!!

Postby la1982 » Sun Sep 28, 2008 5:49 pm

Here is one I had found on the net by someone who did Weight Watchers

serves 4
WW points value 5.5
Cals 359.

240g Dried spaghetti
1 brown onion, finely chopped
125g weight watchers bacon, thinly sliced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
3 eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 cup (125ml) light evaporated milk
2 tbs shredded parmesan
2tbs chopped parsley

1. Cook pasta in a large saucepan.
2. Lightly coat non stick fry pan. Add onion and bacon, cook for 5 mins. Add garlic and cook for another 1 - 2 mins
3. Add eggs, milk and parmesan. Simmer uncovered for 3-4 mins.
4 Add to drained pasta
SW 74kg
GW 55kg Achieved 31.1.08
CW 54.6kg
Body fat reduced from 38% to 20.2%

Return to Healthy Recipes