It is currently Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:01 pm

Free Newsletter

Tomato pasta?

Share your favorite healthy recipes here.

Moderator: Moderators

Tomato pasta?

Postby Gal Friday » Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:03 pm

I am after a really good basic (cheap) tomato pasta option. Based on a can of tomatos would be good! I can add the mushrooms and olive and whatever else, but the simple FLAVOUR ratios are where I get lost!

Does anyone have a quick fave?
Gal Friday

Postby zeedeveelgirl » Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:42 pm

Vegetable pasta is always good - chop up a bunch of veggies (eggplant, zucchini, mushroom, etc, whatever you like!) and cook it up with the tomatoes.

Chicken pasta too

Spices work wonders - try adding 1/2 tsp of cumin, turmeric, paprika.. adds a bit of zing to it :)

Postby Gal Friday » Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:57 am

Gal Friday

Postby sassi » Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:10 pm

i'm trying to remember one i used to make - it was something like a can of tomatoes, some onion & garlic. cook onion & garlic till the onion is soft, then add in the can of tomatoes. just before it's ready, stir in a tiny bit of sugar (stops it from tasting too tomato-ey) and a handful of fresh basil. pepper to taste. it used to be alright - i used to use it as a sauce for meatballs. yum!

Postby bferbear » Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:03 pm

Chilli Tuna pasta is reasonably low cost. Around $2 a serve.

Add some garlic, chilli and onion to some olive oil in a cold pan. Turn on the heat and sautee until onion softens.

Add a tin of diced tomatoes.

Add a teaspoon of brown sugar (takes some of the acid out of the tomatoes and negates heartburn)

Add a large tin of tuna (drained and flaked)

Simmer for 10 mins

add a large handful of finely chopped Parsley

Serve with your choice of pasta.

Postby Gal Friday » Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:44 pm

oohh thanks, both of you!

I think I will make the tuna one on sunday night! I am a vego but do eat fish. I need the protein!!!
Gal Friday

Postby Kareyn » Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:59 am

I also put cherry tomatoes in my pasta sauce. I cut them in half and add them with the tinned tomatoes. Especially good if they are going a bit soft to eat in a salad. They cook down and add a really nice flavour.

Another good one is roast real tomatoes and then add them. Also adds a nice flavour.

I also add a bit of sugar to my pasta sauces.

Kids tell me I make the best spaghetti ever :D
"How simple is it to see that we can only be happy now and there will never be a time when it isn't now!"

Re: Tomato pasta?

Postby Mrsreino » Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:43 pm

I've got a really good tomato pasta recipe, its similar to another post I saw in here...

Fry onion and bacon or ham pieces up till softened, then start adding diced carrot, capsicum, mushrooms, celery, zucchini, then, add 1 big tin of crushed tomatoes + 1 slightly smaller tin of crushed tomatoes too (sorry can't remember tin sizes), so that the crushed tomatoes cover the vegies, mix well, let it simmer (covered) till vegies have softened. I usually add taste by adding, tspn minced garlic, couple of little squirts of basil (from the tubes you buy in the vegie area of your supermarket), pepper and salt and a good sprinke (but not overload) of chilli powder. THen when its nearly ready, sprinkle some parmesan cheese through it. YUM!!!!

Cook up pasta and serve, add extra parmesan if you like, I always do, yummy.

Wholemeal pasta is better for you than the white stuff, but I guess its mainly serving sizes is what matters the most.

Have a go, you'll love it!!

Re: Tomato pasta?

Postby candycane » Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:05 am

don't forget to mix in a tablespoon or so of tomato paste with whatever meat u put in after the onions. Plenty of garlic, couple of tins of tomatos, let it simmer for as long as possible to enhance the flavours. Most 'italian' herbs work well so u know oregano etc. Good luck :)
Goal: 65-67 kg <-------Ultimate Goal:
For now? No weighing for a few weeks...

Return to Healthy Recipes