It is currently Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:52 am

Free Newsletter

Any Ideas

Share your favorite healthy recipes here.

Moderator: Moderators

Any Ideas

Postby Maraver » Tue Jul 19, 2005 7:45 am

Any ideas for lunch.............ie what I can take to work already to eat salad can get really boring, I have tried soup but its a major battle not to eat bread :lol:
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wcPPfC1/]
[/url]
Maraver

Postby Dolly » Tue Jul 19, 2005 9:41 am

Sorry Pam I can't help, are you doing a low carb diet?
My low Glycemic Diet recommended for people with hypothyroidism and other auto immune diseases suggests in order keep healthy, for each meal I have to eat one serving of

fat
starch
protein
fruit
& vegetables

Dolly
Last edited by Dolly on Tue Jul 19, 2005 1:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dolly

Postby Serena » Tue Jul 19, 2005 12:58 pm

Some of my favourites:

- Pasta spirals with cherry tomatoes, low fat cheese, carrot, celery, pine nuts, avocado and ranch dressing (I think ranch dressing isn't particularly diet friendly but I like it. You could use any dressing you want and there are plenty of fat free options).

- You can make salad wraps or multi-grain rolls or stuff pita pockets with salad. I like to use low fat hommus as a substitute for margarine.

- You can make sushi. Nori rolls are dead easy and there are instructions on the back of the nori sheets in the asian section of most supermarkets. The woman from "You are what you eat" uses guacamole (home made of course, shop bought stuff is vile) as the rice bit and puts a little bit of brown rice in the filling and fills with lots of vegies. A little bit messy to make but they're yum yummy. And fish sushi is great too although Weight watchers won't let you eat too much.

- You could make a vegetarian lasagne and freeze individual portions to take and reheat. I have a great recipe if you want.

- Nice chunky home made vegie soup with lots of lentils and chickpeas and stuff in it, reheats pretty well in the microwave, and really fills you up.

These are some of the things I used to take to work and they're pretty healthy and yummy too. Everything sandwiches are great too. You just go through your fridge and whatever you've got you chuck in. Beetroot, tomato (don't forget to dry beetroot and tomato on a piece of paper towel fist cos there's nothing worse than a soggy sandwich), corn, lettuce, capsicum, cucumber, tuna, hommus. I had one yesterday and it was all I could do to stop myself making another one it was so yummy. I used to be vegetarian and if your looking to include some soy products in your diet (very very good for you) you can buy soy luncheon slice at the supermarket. Some of them aren't particularly nice but the smoked one is really tasty in an everything salad sandwich or roll. Hope this helps, Pam.
Serena

Postby Maraver » Wed Jul 20, 2005 10:58 am

Pasta spirals with cherry tomatoes, low fat cheese, carrot, celery, pine nuts, avocado and ranch dressing (I think ranch dressing isn't particularly diet friendly but I like it. You could use any dressing you want and there are plenty of fat free options

Serena would I cook the spirals the night before and then mix everything together in the morning and eat it cold it sounds delicous and I am game to try it
Pam
[/url]
Maraver

Postby Serena » Wed Jul 20, 2005 3:23 pm

Yeah you can cook the pasta the night before. Running hot water over it in a colander will loosen them up if they've set a bit. I used to sometimes make up enough for a couple of days and mix it all together and it kept pretty well, but I guess that depends on your choice of dressing.
Serena

Postby Maraver » Wed Jul 27, 2005 8:29 am

Thanks I am going to try this today
Pam
[/url]
Maraver

Hi Dolly

Postby SURVIVOR » Sat Sep 10, 2005 9:00 pm

I am interested in the low glycemic diet. So will sus that out. I have hypothyroidism (diagnosed in 1980 when I was 12) . so sounds like its worth a shot. My metabolism is pathetic, I guess being inactive is the main reason but health certainly affects. So I am going get walking too. My 5 year old thinks thats a great idea as he gets to come with me. Will let you know how I get on with the low glycemic diet.

Thanks
SURVIVOR

Postby Dolly » Sat Sep 10, 2005 9:20 pm

Meg, I'm also hypothyroid so we can do this together.

The doctors misdiagnosed me for many years. I had hair falling out and my arms and legs were tingling and going numb and I kept fainting because of the extra menstral bleeding causing a huge lack of iron.
Then I noticed even when I exercised and ate only 1000 calories per day I gained weight.
I ended up having to eat 800 cals per day to make the scales move in my favor.
The thyroxine tablets now keep my thyroid level but I can gain more than average weight from eating one meal of chicken treat.

Exercise is the only way to get the metabolism moving again but I think I'll find alternatives to always walking.
I belong to eDiets.com and I found out that most people favor walking, I also noticed that a lot of them all have knee replacement surgery due to wearing out the knee joint from walking. So I figure an aerobics tape or pilates tape, or dumbbell lifts might be a better alternative rather than wearing my poor ol' aching knees every day.

Dolly
Dolly

Postby SURVIVOR » Sat Sep 10, 2005 9:22 pm

cool, I reckon I could do some low impact. Have muscle and nerve damage in neck shoulders and parts of my arms. Lower back damage. Sounds brill for 27 don't it!! So I tend to walk cause the rest seems to set my pain off, Keep hearing about pilates might find out about that. Its nice to feel like I am not doing this alone.
SURVIVOR

Postby SURVIVOR » Sat Sep 10, 2005 9:25 pm

I mean't 37! wish I was 27!!!!!!!!
SURVIVOR

Postby Dolly » Sat Sep 10, 2005 9:27 pm

We have more in common than I thought, I also have tendon, muscle and nerve damage in my neck & left shoulder. The pain has been there for 9 years and I can't sleep on my left shoulder when going to bed because of pain.

Dolly
Dolly

Postby Dolly » Sat Sep 10, 2005 9:30 pm

I pulled off being 28 for 10 years, until my son wrote an essay saying that his mum was 28 and his dad was 40.
The teacher then said don't you have a sister who is 16? that was when I had to come clean to him.
I've just had my 50th birthday although everyone says I only look 30 to 35 (good genes I guess, that plus using nivea creme)

Dolly
Dolly

Postby SURVIVOR » Sat Sep 10, 2005 9:48 pm

We have alot in common then. Sleeping is a nightmare, shoulders ache if I sleep on them and cannot sleep on back cause I cannot breath. (possible sleep apnea apparantly) and not on tummy due to neck, when I finally sleep I wake to my little ones regular night terrors since our accident last year.......... But its getting better 10 nights without a night terror. yay. Music helps to and reckon when I start excercising that will help too..
SURVIVOR

Postby Dolly » Sat Sep 10, 2005 11:10 pm

My son Mike used to have night terrors on and off for two years. He eventually out grew them. A lot of my American friends say their kids have them too.
It's so spooky looking into their shiny dialated eyes as they see you but they don't really see you and are so frightened, saying strange stuff. The first time I saw Mike with a night terror I freaked, I had no idea they even existed.

Dolly
Dolly

Postby Fairie » Sun Sep 11, 2005 9:25 am

You two seem to have so much in common it's a pity you are so far apart but then that's the beauty of the computer and e-mails. :D
-Fay-

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wSDGUdx/]
[/url]
Fairie

Next

Return to Healthy Recipes