It is currently Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:30 am

Free Newsletter

Tofo?!?! What the...

Share your favorite healthy recipes here.

Moderator: Moderators

Tofo?!?! What the...

Postby big_love » Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:39 pm

Hi Guys,
I really want to have a go at cooking and eating Tofu as I have never tasted it before, but don't really know where to start. Would anyone have a quick and easy way of cooking tofu that is delicious and good for me too!!

Thanks in advance

Tam xx

Postby electrongirl » Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:26 pm

we have been eating HEAPS of tofu here lately, my mum is a vegan and she is staying with us.

An easy way to cook it is to marinate it in something over night, eg: soy sauce, garlic, ginger, etc. (use the firm tofu) then cook in a non stick fry pan with spray oil and have with salad or veges.

My mum uses is in place of ricotta cheese in lasagna, canneloni etc.(the silken tofu is best for that its softer)
Nikki - Aussie girl living in the USA with her soul mate. My blog:

Image Image

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:37 pm

I love tofu!

For an easy way to cook it I echo what Electrongirl said. Marinate it overnight and stir fry it. Another option is to dice it, marinate it overnight, and place it on baking paper to bake in an oven on moderate heat until golden. It makes it slightly puffy and crunchy. That way if you add them to a bowl of stir-fried vegetables they keep their shape and provide a slightly different texture. You can toss them in rice flour with some sesame seeds before baking them as well to make them extra crunchy and golden.

You can also buy pre-marinated tofu in most supermarkets. If you're worried about cooking it for the first time just buy some of that, dice it up and add it to a salad or stir fry.

And if you don't like it the first time, don't give up on it! There are so many ways to prepare tofu that another method might please you where the first one failed. You can freeze it beforehand to give it a firmer texture while stir-frying it, you can scramble it with herbs and use it instead of scrambled eggs on toast, or you can add it to smoothies to add protein. You can even use it in deserts! Yep, there are a few recipes for tofu cheesecake out there believe it or not! ... cake.shtml

There's a great recipe for tofu mini-quiches at the Fat Free Vegan Kitchen website. It's really, really yummy but not that easy to make unfortunately. But it's worth the fiddliness in the end! And it's no harder to make than normal quiches as far as I can tell. ... iches.html

Return to Healthy Recipes