It is currently Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:58 am

Free Newsletter

Tasty Pumpkin Soup!

Share your favorite healthy recipes here.

Moderator: Moderators

Tasty Pumpkin Soup!

Postby Mandie » Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:05 pm

Pumpkin soup is one of my favourites! But so many places make it with loads of cream and it tastes too sweet and it makes it rather unhealthy!

So tonight I made a big pot the way I like it - and it's ridiculously healthy!

Ingredients:
    1 kg pumpkin
    1kg sweet potato
    3 large carrots
    3 medium onions
    a few cloves of garlic (up to you!)
    1L chicken stock
    Some water
    various herbs (I like rosemary)
    salt & pepper

Method:
Chop the onions, carrots, sweet potato and pumpkin. Crush the garlic. My tip here is to chop things into small chunks, so that it cooks quicker. Make them all about the same size, but make the carrot chunks half the size of the sweet potato/pumpkin, because that takes longer to soften.

Get a large pot, put it on a hot stove. Spray in a touch of canola oil when it's hot, and throw the garlic and onion in. Cook, stirring, for a minute or two until it starts to get fragrant. Then, throw all the other vegies in. Pour in the chicken stock. Add enough water so that the vegies are all completely covered (took me about 3 cups). Throw your herbs in, and season as desired. Not too much - remember you can always add more later, but you can't take it out!

Let the mixture cook until everything is really soft - took around 45 minutes I think. Make sure it doesn't bubble over! I had to take the lid off for a while.

Once everything is nice and soft and mushy - it should be breaking up as you stir it! Take it off the heat. Get a stab mixer, and blend that baby up! If you dont have a stab mixer, you can throw it in a blender or food processor.. or I guess you could just whisk it really hard? Anyway.

Then - enjoy! You can freeze it, but I tend to keep a large amount in the fridge and eat it as a snack during the week. Doesn't take me long to get through it! It's so yummy, and since it's basically just vegetables and stock, it's virtually guilt free!

Bon Appetite!
Mandie

Re: Tasty Pumpkin Soup!

Postby chucky » Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:30 pm

Ummm going to make this tommorrow
MELANIE

13/10/08 - 88KG
GW: 70KG
chucky

Postby flaminjo » Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:24 am

Pumpkin Soup! thats new, the recipe you have given here looks interesting, lets see how many of my family members agree to my idea of pumpkin soup on saturday evening!
Last edited by EvilWombatQueen on Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Advertising link removed.
flaminjo

Postby mumnbub » Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:44 am

Sounds really nice- will give it a go i think
Last edited by milkyway on Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed spam link in signature
mumnbub

Postby chucky » Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:39 am

I am about it make it now !! I am not a cook lol so should be intersting :lol:

I was just thinking isnt all the vegies in it full off carbs? If so, is it ok to eat alot off and snack on it
MELANIE

13/10/08 - 88KG
GW: 70KG
chucky

Postby Jasminena » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:00 pm

:shock: ummm so how come no one came back with a gee your soup was great?

:twisted:
hmmmm think i will give it a try anyway, my family love soup. and i hear you are proven to be fuller for longer if you eat soup....

Jas

Why oh why is it so damb hard to be healthy?????? :-(
Jasminena

Postby Daisybeck » Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:00 pm

This sounds lovely. Will definitely try this. :mrgreen:
Daisybeck

Postby CrimsonThunder » Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:23 pm

Bloody delicious!

So thick and I have no idea why they add cream and stuff to pumpkin soup now!
- Stevo
CrimsonThunder

Postby shane90 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:53 pm

I had a small pumpkin from halloween that I did not want to waste and after raking leaves all morning this soup really hit the spot. I cut the recipe in half as I didn't have enough ingredients. I used skim milk and only had a little light cream in the house so I added skim to make the cup and a half. I also substituted chile powder for the cayenne. I added a little ground sea salt too.
Last edited by EvilWombatQueen on Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Advertising link removed.
shane90

Postby Jaspakat » Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:35 am

Hi I make Pumpkin soup all the time and its yummy and freezes really well. I dont use sweet potato though, use onions pumpkin or butternut squash and i put in tinned tomatoes and red pepper. Its less carbs and to make it really tasty yummy I roast the pumpkin first (no oil) it just makes the sugars in the pumpkin caramelise gives it a rich flavour :) I also keep the seeds wash them and roast those in the oven they are crunchy and yummy and really nice sprinkled on the top of the soup :mrgreen:

Cheers

K8
Jaspakat

Postby chevbrock » Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:13 pm

Maybe substituting red lentils for the sweet potato will reduce the carbs?
chevbrock

Return to Healthy Recipes