It is currently Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:54 am

Free Newsletter

Share your favorite healthy recipes here.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby fattychops » Sun Aug 20, 2006 5:24 pm

Hi All,

I need to eat a heap of veggies as part of my Jenny Craig plans.

Im getting very sick of plain steemed veggies, can someone suggest some tasty ways of preping vegies with out adding kj's? (non starchy vegs)

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Sun Aug 20, 2006 6:03 pm

well!! Where to start!!!

I don't eat meat all that oftne (usually once per week) so Vegies are prime on my menu.

Try a vege packed pasta sauce, fry some onion and garlic in a little oil, add chopped tomato, zucchini, capsicum, mushrooms, broccoli and any other harder vegies that you like (think eggplant etc), and cook for a little bit. Add in some shop pasta sause or tomato puree, whatever takes your fancy, then some corn and olives if you wish and serve on your fave pasta (wholemeal if you so wish).

Try a vege curry or stirfry - cauliflower, broccoli, capsicum, pumpkin, peas, eggplant or zucchini, carrot, baby corn, (whatever takes your fancy) - just fry up with onion and garlic, add some tomato puree and curry paste, or your fave stirfry sause, or just simply a dash of soy and honey and a sprinkle of seeds (sesame, pumpkin, sunflower).

An old fave is ratatoille - onion, eggplants, garlic, capsicum, mushrooms and tomato puree. Stirfry vegies until just tender, add the tomato and simmer for about 20 min till the vegies are soft and the sauce has thickened - add some fresh herbs for flavour and serve with polenta, rice, anything you like.

Make a vege soup - add some soup mix (usually has lentils, pearl barley, some smaller dried beans etc) and simmer in some water for a little while until they start to soften (about 1/2 and hour) then add the harder vegies - pumpkin, carrot, potato if you're usung it, sweet potato (very very yum), onion, leek and simmer until just about cooked, add some stock or similar to taste and a tin of chopped tomatoes if you wish. Add in some chopped celery and some spinach for the last 15min. Hearty, full of vitarils and minimums and LOTS of fibre for a good bowel cleanse.

Try a rice pie (very unorthodox I know). Cook up some rice (or use just cook extra if you made rice the day before) and steam some vegies of your choice (asparagus, spinach, broccoli, leek goes well). Beet some egg, milk no/low fat yoghurt, and some low fat cottage cheese and salt and pepper. If you like, some tuna goes well. Mix all in with the vegies and rice (should look like risotto wetness) and put into a lightly greased pie dish. Place sliced tomatoes on top and sprinkle with low fat cheese if desired. Bake at around 180 for 20-30 mins or until set and browned lightly.

If you're doing a BBQ, don't forget the vege skewers!!

If you're still struggling for ideas, do a google search for vegetarian recipes - Vegetarians get sick of steamed vege too!!
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Postby Dolly » Sun Aug 20, 2006 9:21 pm

Stirfry with an onion
or use a little gravy
or some satay, soy, cheese or sweet & sour sauce from a jar

Return to Healthy Recipes