Curried Beef Pies - Serves 4
Prepare the mixture at least 2 hours before it is needed as it needs to cool.
1 onion, diced
400g very lean beef mince (can substitue chicken or pork)
2-3 teaspoons curry powder (or to taste)
3 large carrots, diced
1 cup frozen peas
2 teaspoons beef stock powder
1 tablespoon plain flour
3/4 cup water
8-12 sheets filo pastry
sesame seeds to garnish
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Microwave carrots for about 5-6 minutes.
2. Saute together the onion, mince and curry powder in a non- stick pan until until browned. Add the carrots and saute for 2 minutes, add the peas and seasonings.
3. Combine together the stock powder, flour and water. Add to the beef mixture and stir through until thickened. Cool mixture.
4. Take two or three sheets of filo and place each sheet on top of the other. Divide the mixture into four and place a portion at one end of the filo. Roll over once, then tuck in the sides and continue rolling to the end. Repeat to make four pies.
5. Lightly spray an oven-proof dish or baking tray (I use glad bake instead of the spray oil). Place the pies into the dish, spray the tops with cooking spray and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Bake at 180* for 30-40 minutes. Serve with salad or green steamed vegetables and tomato sauce if desired.
**Filo pies can be frozen once they are cooked and reheated in the oven to crisp up.
***Alternately cook up mixture and either divide in four or leave whole and freeze. This way it is just a quick roll (:P) and pop them in the oven