Ingredients (serves 4)
* 2 enchilada tortillas (Old El Paso brand), cut into 2cm strips
* 1 tbs vegetable oil
* 600g chicken thigh fillets, cut into 3cm pieces
* 1 x 420g can Mexican chilli beans
* 1 x 310g can corn kernels, drained
* 1 x 300g jar mild tomato salsa
* 1 long fresh green chilli, deseeded, coarsely chopped
* Roasted peppers & wild rice (see related recipes), to serve
Add above ingredients to your shopping list
Preheat oven to 220°C. Place the tortilla strips, in a single layer, on a large baking tray. Bake in preheated oven for 5 minutes or until crisp and golden. Remove from oven and set aside until required.
Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan over high heat. Add the chicken and cook, stirring occasionally, for 3-4 minutes or until brown all over.
Place the beans over the base of a 1L (4-cup) capacity ovenproof baking dish. Top with a layer of chicken pieces and a layer of corn. Pour over the tomato salsa and sprinkle with chilli. Bake, covered, in oven for 15 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
Divide the roasted peppers & wild rice among serving bowls. Top with the chicken casserole and sprinkle with tortilla strips. Serve immediately.
For a kid-friendly version: Replace the Mexican chilli beans with a 400g can of red kidney beans and omit the chilli.
Leftovers: Use the totillas, cut into wedges and baked, as an accompaniment to dips.