It is currently Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:50 pm

Free Newsletter

Low GI recipes

Share your favorite healthy recipes here.

Moderator: Moderators

Low GI recipes

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:59 pm

I thought it would be handy to have a thread for low GI recipes. Feel free to add any low GI recipe you like!

This is one I made for dinner last night:

Spaghetti in red lentil sauce.

Wholegrain/wholemeal spaghetti, cooked to directions on the packet. TIP: cooking then cooling pasta changes its composition and lowers its GI. Same with potatoes! The best thing is that the GI stays low even if you re-heat the food (which you should do with this recipe, unless you like cold spaghetti!)
1/2 an onion, diced
1 clove of garlic, crushed
2 Tb tomato paste
2 cups lentils
Herbs and spices to taste (I used tobasco sauce, hot paprika and a little bit of seasonel)
1 tin of diced tomatoes or the equivalent of passata
1 carrot, sliced thinly
1 zucchini, chopped
1 cup of mushrooms, sliced.

Saute the onion in a little water, stock or olive oil. When it starts to turn transluscent add the garlic. Cook for a minute or two until it's aromatic. Add the carrots and a little water, saute for a couple of minutes until they start to turn soft. Add the lentils and tomato paste. Cook for a couple of minutes, stirring constantly. Add the tinned tomatoes/passata. Add water to make it the consistency of a thick soup. Simmer for fifteen to twenty minutes, until the lentils are soft and start to break apart. Add the zucchini, mushrooms, herbs and spices and cook for a further three minutes. Serve on top of spaghetti.

Lentil and vegetable soup

1 carrot, diced
1 celery, sliced
1/2 onion, diced
1 cup of red lentils
1 tin of diced tomatoes, or equivalent measure of passata
stock (not sure how much, maybe 500mL? I usually add half a stock cube and then add boiling water until it's a soup-like consistency, adding more water as needed)

Saute the onion in a little water, stock or olive oil. When it is transluscent add the carrot and celery. Saute for a couple of minutes until soft. Add the lentils, stock and tomatoes. Cover and simmer for about twenty minutes or until the lentils are soft and falling apart. Make sure you stir it occasionally to ensure the lentils don't stick to the bottom and burn!

My mum gave this soup recipe to me. She lost heaps of weight having this for lunch each day!

Return to Healthy Recipes