It is currently Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:56 am

Free Newsletter

Spaghetti Squash

Share your favorite healthy recipes here.

Moderator: Moderators

Spaghetti Squash

Postby sizing_down » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:04 pm

I grew these this year but they are commercially available too and even my DH who hates squash thought that this recipe was good. I created it tonight, was pleased with the result and thought I'd share.
A light lunch or dinner side dish. Serves 1 or 2 depending on the size of the squash.

Baked Spaghetti Squash

1 Spaghetti squash (mine was about the size of a kids football and served 2)
oil (I used rice bran oil)
about 2Tb crushed garlic (but feel free to use more or less or none at all depending on your tastes)
salt and pepper (be generous with them)

Squash doesn't have much flavour on it's own so whatever flavours you cook it with will infuse it.
other things you could try are ginger, chilli and lime

preheat oven to 180C

halve squash lengthways and place in a baking dish cut side up.
lightly drizzle (or spray) oil over the cut faces and smear with garlic. Season with salt and pepper.
Pour about 5cm of water into the bottom of the dish and place into oven.

Cook for about 45min to 1hr depending on the size of the squash. You can pour extra water over the squash itself about 1/2 way through the cooking time to help it stay moister if you like. When ready it should be tender when stabbed with a fork and flake apart easily.

Remove from the oven, alow to cool slightly and then working with 2 forks flake the flesh into spaghetti strands and transfer to serving dish/es, add a tomato based pasta sauce and voila- an easy and very low kj/fat/carb/point meal that tastes great. It is also naturally gluten free and vegan although it would be lovely with some fetta crumbled over it or even low fat shredded cheese.

You could also simply transfer the cooked halves onto plates with the sauce and any cheese piled on top and leave the people eating the squash to flake the flesh for themselves.

12 Week Challenge Goal 28th Febuary 2011 68.6kg

Starting weight: September '10 83kg

Return to Healthy Recipes