It is currently Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:39 am

Free Newsletter

Breakfast Cake

Share your favorite healthy recipes here.

Moderator: Moderators

Breakfast Cake

Postby chevbrock » Sat Sep 24, 2011 3:46 pm

Hi everyone,

I've never shared this recipe before - with anyone! I'd love some feedback on whether I could improve the calorie content anywhere.

Forgive me, I hardly ever use measurements for anything. So the amounts are estimates. You may need to adjust more or less, for those playing at home!

Thanks!

Breakfast cake:

Preheat oven at 150 c.

Grate a large or medium carrot, one pair, and one apple (any kinds) into a mixing bowl, skin and all. Carefully grate the zest off one medium or large orange, then cut in half and juice the orange, adding zest and juice to the bowl. You can use lemon, too, but I prefer the taste of the orange.

Add a small amount of sugar or honey (about 1 tbls), one egg (or similar amount of replacement product).
Add about 1 1/2 cups of wholemeal self-raising flour.
Add any extras you like - sultanas, dates, oats, wheatgerm, cinnamon, vanilla, or other spices.
Add a small splash of milk, juice or water, enough to make a fairly sloppy mixture (You shouldn't need much with all the fruit in there) mix to combine.

Pour into a loaf tin lined with baking paper, and bake at about 150 c until a probe inserted into the centre comes out clean.

Leave to cool overnight. Enjoy for breakfast sliced and toasted (I do mine under the griller) with butter (naughty), or your choice of healthier spreads!
chevbrock

Return to Healthy Recipes