It is currently Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:17 am

Free Newsletter

Spinach and Ricotta Stuffed Chicken Breasts

Share your favorite healthy recipes here.

Moderator: Moderators

Spinach and Ricotta Stuffed Chicken Breasts

Postby Sniggles » Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:21 am

I made this tonight and am so impressed with how delicious it was, and healthy! I didn't use one particular recipe, rather I searched a few different recipes and got a basic idea of what needs to be done and made it up as I went along. This is what I used to make a meal for two people.

2 chicken breast fillets (skin removed)
1/2 cup low fat ricotta cheese
1/2 cup finely chopped spinach
1/2 cup finely chopped capsicum
2 small cloves of garlic, finely diced (or 1tsp of crushed garlic)
1 egg white
Black pepper
Dried herbs or fresh finely diced (this is optional and also more of a personal taste thing I think, I added a pinch of oregano, parsley and marjoram)

Preheat oven to 220C. Line a baking tray with greaseproof paper.

Gently saute capsicum on low heat until soft (About 10mins) and allow to cool slightly. While this is happening, place a chicken breast on a chopping board, one at a time, and cover with baking paper or cling film. Using a meat tenderizer or wooden spoon, flatten the chicken out until no more than 1cm thick. Be careful with this as I "tenderized" one of the pieces a little too much and it became quite fragile and had holes in it.

Mix together HALF of the ricotta with the spinach, capsicum, garlic, herbs and egg white. The mixture should be thick but not runny. If it seems too thick/dry, gradually add the remaining ricotta in small amounts until it is the consistency of wet stuffing mix.

Spread mixture over one side of each chicken breast, leaving a small border around the edges as the mixture will spread out a little when rolling up. Starting from one end, roll the mixture up and secure with either a toothpick or kitchen string.

Bake for 35mins without turning. Serve with other veg of choice.

- The stuffing mixture helps keep the chicken moist and also gives a great flavour. Its low in fat, has calcium and potassium in the ricotta and lean protein from the chicken and iron in the spinach. I did add ground chia seeds to the stuffing as well but did not include in the recipe as not everyone likes or can eat them.

Next time I am going to experiment with a light lemony-cream sauce so will post that as well if it turns out well!
[/url]
Sniggles

Return to Healthy Recipes