It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:17 am

Free Newsletter

Easy fish soup

Share your favorite healthy recipes here.

Moderator: Moderators

Easy fish soup

Postby fortyfour » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:43 pm

700g ish Fish heads from the supermarket - ask them at the counter. They are very cheap and good value.
2 litres water
2 tbsp butter
2 medium sized onions roughly chopped
2 carrots if you've got them roughly chopped
oregano. two good size pinches. (you can experiment with herbs)

Add butter and onions to a large pot and saute just a few minutes before adding all the other ingredients. Bring to the boil and simmer for 30 minutes.Sieve out all the solids. Taste the stock, reduce it by further boiling with the lid off if its too weak in flavour. Now you've got a fish stock which you can make various versions of fish soup with.

Yummy ITALIAN STYLE fish soup
Pasta sauce from a jar.

Add enough fish stock for one serving to the pot. Stir in a few spoons of tomato based tomato sauce. Heat and serve with bread or not. I have found that salt is not necessary.

I've been having this is a first course without bread but if i want it as a meal in itself, i will serve it with two slices of wholegrain bread.

Spicy THAI STYLE fish soup - this version will be higher in calories than the one above. So maybe have a smaller portion or turn it into a meal by adding veges and what not. Experiement.

Coconut cream
Green curry paste

I added a whole can of coconut cream to the stock. But first add the green curry paste tsp by tsp to the coconut milk. Whisk in thoroughly. This is so that you don't ruin the soup with a too spicy flavour. When the spiciness is to your taste, add some hot stock to the coconut cream. Add some more until the coconut cream is quite hot, then add it back to the stock. Mix well. Add salt if necessary.
Height - 165cm
Starting weight - 7 March 2013 - 83.6kg
weight - 21 March 2013 - 79.8kg
latest weight - 28 July 2013 - 77kg
fortyfour

Re: Easy fish soup

Postby sallybowens » Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:31 am

Thank you for sharing this recipe. looks very delicious. Can I add something to make it somehow spicy? I love eating spicy foods.
sallybowens

Return to Healthy Recipes