It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:32 pm

Free Newsletter

Zucchini & Herb Muffins

Share your favorite healthy recipes here.

Moderator: Moderators

Zucchini & Herb Muffins

Postby zeedeveelgirl » Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:03 pm

Zucchini & Herb Muffins

The original recipe is off the Calorieking.com.au website, however I've played around with it a little due to not having a couple of the ingredients :P I thought it would make a great breakfast muffin or to have with soup!

Makes 10 Muffins

Ingredients

1 cup Self Raising Flour
1 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 tsp Bicarbonate Soda
50g Oats (I used the 1-minute Oats)
75g cup Apple Puree
1 Egg, lightly beaten
1/2 cup (64g) Zucchini, grated
1 tbsp Mixed Herbs, dried
1 tsp Vegetable Oil

Method:

1. Preheat oven to moderate 180C/350F.
2. Prepare a 12-hole muffin tin with muffin papers.
3. Sift flour, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda in a medium bowl. Stir through oat bran. Make a well in the centre.
4. Using a large fork, stir in apple sauce, oil, egg, zucchini and herbs until the mixuture is just combined.
5. Spoon mixture into prepared tin. Bake for 25-30 minutes until golden brown and cooked through.
6. Stand in pan for 5 minutes before turning muffins onto wire rack to cool.

Nutritional Information:

Kilojoules: 373kJ
Calories: 90cal
Fat: 1.7g
Protein: 2.7g
Carbohydrate: 15.4g
Fibre: 1.1g

Next time I'm going to get some Wholemeal Self Raising flour to use because I know the fibre content will be great!!

They are baking in the oven as we speak so I'll let you know how yummy they are!!
zeedeveelgirl

Postby mary_in_adelaide » Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:15 am

OK it's been nearly a whole day...and Emma hasn't told us how the muffins tasted...perhaps hey were awful and she was rushed to hospital to have her stomach pumped...or she went crazy on the cross trainer and forgot they were in the oven and burned the house down...or....:lol:

C'mon Emma...spill the beans...I wanna know what they taste like

(oh and if you're going to use wholemeal flour I would suggest half wholemeal and half white...all wholemeal makes muffins very stodgy tasking (or at least it does with the two different kinds of muffins I make).
Cheers, Mary

If I could find a ticker for measurements it would say I'm on the way from a waist measurement of 134cm to one of 70cm (currently at 129cm)
mary_in_adelaide

Postby zeedeveelgirl » Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:46 am

Bahah Mary :P :P

I had a muffin with breakfast this morning and it was deeeeeeeeelicious :P So no stomach pumping for me!!!

Thanks for the tip with the flour :D :D
zeedeveelgirl

Postby mary_in_adelaide » Sat Jan 27, 2007 3:52 pm

glad to hear you've survived the muffin making Emma :D

I am going to add these to my list to make next I go shopping (gotta buy some zucchinis)...I love having things like this in the freezer to have easy things to grab and take to work for breakfasts or snacks...I don't have a sweet tooth but I do love savoury snacks so these sound like they'll be a great addition to my repertoire
Cheers, Mary

If I could find a ticker for measurements it would say I'm on the way from a waist measurement of 134cm to one of 70cm (currently at 129cm)
mary_in_adelaide

Postby zeedeveelgirl » Sat Jan 27, 2007 5:12 pm

They're pretty filling if you have one with cereal so very good to grab a couple on the run for sure!! They're so low in kilojoules, it's great!!
Let me know how ya like them :)
The recipe also called for 1 tbsp Tomato Paste which I didn't have, but I think it would be delicious with it in there without bumping up the kilojoules much!

Let me know how you like 'em! :)
zeedeveelgirl

Postby CrimsonThunder » Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:43 pm

They'd taste so nice! You could also add other ingreedients or swap some. A few I'd do is onion, tomato, carrot. Yum.
- Stevo
CrimsonThunder

Postby mary_in_adelaide » Sat Feb 03, 2007 12:50 pm

I made these this morning and am having one now for my arvo snack. They are yummy. I made the original recipe from the calorie king website (with the tomato paste and some fresh basil from my garden). Some onion, carrot or corn could easily be added for a change.

Thanks Emma...another great recipe to add to my repertoire of healthy snacks to have around the house.

I used one of those new silicon muffin trays for the first time...they are a great idea...easy to wash and no greasing/spraying needed and things cook faster
Cheers, Mary

mary_in_adelaide

Postby zeedeveelgirl » Sat Feb 03, 2007 1:15 pm

Ahh good to hear that you liked them, Mary :) They are a great snack!

Oooh I should get one of those silicon muffin trays, they look so cool :D
zeedeveelgirl

Return to Healthy Recipes