It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:46 pm

Free Newsletter

Fried Rice

Share your favorite healthy recipes here.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby zeedeveelgirl » Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:22 pm

Sorry, but rice isn't a big "no-no" at all... Yes, basmati rice is the lowest in GI, but as long as you're only having a small serving (1/2 to 3/4 of a cup), it's fine to have it.
Nothing is a no-no when you want a healthy diet you can sustain, you just have it occasionally and in moderation.
zeedeveelgirl

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:41 pm

ditto

For many people on here, me included, not even chocolate is a 'no-no' it's just a sometimes food. Rice is in fact the staple diet of a number of countries that have traditionally far lower obesity rates than western nations (think China, Japan, Korea etc) and whose obesity rates have risen since the introduction of 'fast foods'.

There are a number of 'diets' out there that say certain groups of foods are off limits and rice along with a number of fruit and vegetables as well that would be considered sacrelige (eg Aitkins or other very low carb diets). If you are using one of those diets, then by all means avoid rice, but as far as the overall weightloss options picture, rice is certainly not the big bad wolf, simply another food with certain qualities that we make a decision about.
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Fried Rice

Postby Kathndig » Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:44 pm

Sorry you have misundertood.. Fried rice is very high in fat.. but I guess you forgot to read the topic.
"Slow down and enjoy life.... Its not only the scenery you miss by going to fast-you also miss the sense of where you are going and why"
Kathndig

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:14 pm

well that depends on how you cook it, and you did specify that rice is a no no, so I apologise if we misunderstood you.

jessbabes also asked the same question/made a similar statement earlier in the thread and the response was that you can change/modify old recipes/foods to be healthier - for eg making yourself a homemade burger from a chickpea pattie or lean mince burger and salads with no butter or sauces on a wholemeal bun! This is a really good approach since you don't have to "give up" the types of foods you like, you just adjust them to be healthier. This then helps to maintain interest and motivation - cause lets face it, steamed vegies for every meal isn't all that appetising (but very yummy occasionally)!!

If you make fried rice yourself you can minimise the oil/fat content to barely anything (or even dry fry - which I guess technically is more like a stirfry) unlike the bought stuff which has loads. Then you're left with rice (which is fine to eat in moderation as per any food) and whatever other ingredients you put in, say some vegies, an egg and a bit of fish/soy sauce - again, under your control to choose.

Butterfly_Dawn

Fried Rice

Postby Kathndig » Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:30 pm

Great that you are giving advise like a dietician. Prehaps you should train as one. Or go an pick at some one else. Perhaps you are bored and thats my mistake then..
"Slow down and enjoy life.... Its not only the scenery you miss by going to fast-you also miss the sense of where you are going and why"
Kathndig

Postby sassi » Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:41 pm

:shock: :?

do you disagree that how you cook food affects the fat content?
sassi

Friedd Rice

Postby Kathndig » Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:52 pm

No not all. I do however disagree with the preaching way's of people.
People come to this website for support and get people attacking them if they say something.
I am finished on this topic. Thanks for your 2 cents though.
Kathndig

Postby Playboy_bunny » Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:27 pm

hmmm sassi and butterfly_dawn have been around for a long time and are nothing but helpful supportive to all of us using this forum. Im sure that they meant nothing negative at all, and their replies were in no way a personal attack. Its difficult when using an online forum or chat, because we can only read what is written, not how it was said, what expressions were used etc to determine what was meant....no one meant to offend you, the girls were just being helpful as always. Keep it friendly ;)
Image•·.·´¯`·.·•Gracie•·.·´¯`·.·•
Playboy_bunny

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:32 pm

I cetainly didn't mean to offend and I apologise if I did. I was simply trying to show that while some foods are sometimes considered blanket "BAD" they can be adjusted to be good with a bit of imagination. I wasn't trying to attack you, I was trying to help!

Sometimes when it's just words on a screen a different point of view can be recieved as a personal insult cause you can't get the non-verbal cues like tone of voice etc, so I apologise if you interpreted my posts as an attack, they were not meant that way at all.

And if you want to avoid rice or fried rice, then I have no problem with that, I was simply pointing out that it's not a blanked "bad" food!

Butterfly_Dawn

Fried Rice

Postby Kathndig » Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:08 pm

I think wether you have been around a long time it should not matter how you are treated and perhaps I to take things a little wrong when reading and have misinterpreted things myself. I am sorry, I am new to this forum thing and was looking for support. I am not sure of this is where I belong.
And for the record I love rice.... I think it was my down fall. along with pasta. but thats another story...
Kathndig

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:04 pm

we certainly try to support all of our members, no matter how new or long standing. Most of the long standing members also try to help out others and provide information, particularly if they're new to all this because we have experienced the whole starting out and being overwheled by different information saying different things ourselves at some point.

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby Playboy_bunny » Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:31 pm

I didnt mean for my post to sound like the 'older' members were more important or right or anything, just that I know them fairly well? If you know what I mean? Rice and pasta is one of my downfalls too mmmmmm rice hehe ;)
Image•·.·´¯`·.·•Gracie•·.·´¯`·.·•
Playboy_bunny

Postby zeedeveelgirl » Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:08 pm

I had the same intentions as Tegan. You said "Hi rice is a big no no in the big diet scheme of things", which I interpreted as you trying to discourage members from eating rice.
Here at Weightloss.com.au we don't like to discourage people from eating anything, because when you don't allow yourself to eat something you usually end up binging on it.
I didn't realise that you were talking about fried rice.
We were all simply just trying to be helpful and say that rice is good in moderation. We definitely weren't trying to make a dig at you.
zeedeveelgirl

Postby BusyMum » Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:25 am

Back to the original topic of how to make fired rice -

I use basmati or brown rice. And I usually dont even add any oil. I add weight watchers or 98% fat free ham from the deli, chopped up as the meat. DP likes prawns in it too - I am allergic to them though, so i only add them to his. Then I just add whatever vegies i have in the fridge - onions, shallots, capsicum, corn, peas, beans, mushrooms, etc. Then I add a bit of soy sauce. There are no rules really. And it is very quick and easy to whip up. Great to get rid of any vegies that are on their way out I think.
Angela.
Mum to 2 girls, 22months, and 6 months.

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wiWIiQF/]
BusyMum

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:13 pm

yummo - I've been feeling like fried rice ever since this topic came up and the beans are a great idea - I only like green beans in things like stirfrys (they make me gag by themselves) so we never have then in the fridge :lol:

the bloke and I had to have dinner out last night (we were both working late) and we will be having dinner out tonight (lazer skirmish) and tomorrow we're going out for a friend's birthday!! :roll: all those vegies I bought for this week gone to waste!! :lol: And I STILL won't get my good home cooked fried rice :lol: :cry: :P

Butterfly_Dawn

PreviousNext

Return to Healthy Recipes