It is currently Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:58 pm

Free Newsletter

Bread

Share your favorite healthy recipes here.

Moderator: Moderators

Bread

Postby shelbel » Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:26 pm

Ive been thinking of getting a bread maker for a while now, but i wonder, is home baked better for you then the brought stuff?? I figure there's less preservatives but what about calories and fat? Any insight would be great before i go and blow my money on something thats no use to me!!! :)
Highest Weight - 93kgs
Current Weight - 68.3kgs
Goal Weight - 65kgs

The wise man Stephen King once said - The only way to go on, is to go on. To say 'i can do this' even when you know you cant

You'll find me in the almost there section :)
shelbel

Postby kate_turner2000 » Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:27 pm

i know sarah makes her own yummy breads mmm. my parents have a bread maker and it would be the death of me if i lived there haha. nothing like fresh bread smothered with margarine.
kate_turner2000

Postby Playboy_bunny » Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:35 pm

I have one! Yeah fresh bread is yuuumy! :D Only problem is that 1 slice of 'homemade' equals about 3 slices of regular bread, even if u cut it thinly :( so you do have to use it sparingly.... you can make some yuimmy ones too, i have done pumpkin bead, tomato and basil, chocolate (not recently though! :D) hehe And I got mine from an op shop for $20!!! Cant beat that!
Image•·.·´¯`·.·•Gracie•·.·´¯`·.·•
Playboy_bunny

Postby *KaTe* » Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:20 pm

Home made bread is awesome, and as you have mentioned it wouldnt have the preservatives etc so would be better for you...

Theres a low carb bread mix by empower foods, arent eating starchy foods at the moment but when I go back to eating pasta bread etc will go back onto that bread. Is really nice...and makes your house smell awesome. But Im pretty sure you'd be able to get healthy bread mixes from the health food store and maybe even the supermarket.

And I guess it depends on how much your planning on eating! A empower foods bread mix is reasonably pricey, but a loaf for me would last 3 weeks or so, as I would freeze it. But as I said earlier the supermarket would have nice wholemeal bread mixes etc.

And the best thing is it makes your house smell devine! :D

SMILE!!
*KaTe*

Postby shelbel » Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:34 pm

Thanks for the info folks! Im following weight watchers at home some might be too hard to work out points and that, but i really want some!! :D Maybe i'll scope out the health food shop and read some labels, im just being lazy!! :o
Highest Weight - 93kgs
Current Weight - 68.3kgs
Goal Weight - 65kgs

The wise man Stephen King once said - The only way to go on, is to go on. To say 'i can do this' even when you know you cant

shelbel

Postby SarahC » Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:45 am

I use the Empower bread mix as well. Unfortunately it only lasts me a week or so as I have a sandwich each day, or some toast on the weekends.

I don't have a breadmaker though, I just use a loaf tin and put it in the oven. I've been using my food processor with a dough attachment to mix it but guess what... the food processor finally cracked it with me and died :( Now what to do, it will be interesting!

I saw a lot of different bread mixes when I was in my local health food store last night. I reckon it's better/safer to use one that's pre mixed, then you know it's going to turn out, and you know the calories etc. :D

Also, I add a pinch or two of sugar to the mix. It makes it rise a lot more!
SarahC

Postby shelbel » Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:35 pm

Hey Sarah thanx heaps for the tip!! :D
I have to hit the shops tomorrow so i'll do some investigating while im there.
Highest Weight - 93kgs
Current Weight - 68.3kgs
Goal Weight - 65kgs

shelbel

Return to Healthy Recipes