It is currently Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:26 pm

Free Newsletter

Healthy Nut bars

Share your favorite healthy recipes here.

Moderator: Moderators

Healthy Nut bars

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:54 pm

This is from the cook and the Chef,
and I love this one too. The bloke is addicted and starts pestering for them if he runs out.

I do the "more savoury version" without the choc, but it is still plenty sweet enough, although you must like tahini (see the *** below the recipe). I also omit the sesame and make it up with oats. I also use fruit medley mix in place of the apricots and dates/figs (cause it's easier, more variety and I always have some from my fruit/cashew snacks)

Great for kids snacks and lunch boxes!

1 cup puffed rice or rolled oats
1/2 cup sesame seeds
1/2 cup toasted shredded or flaked coconut
1/2 cup toasted hazelnuts
1/2 cup diced dried apricots
1/2 cup diced dried figs or and dates
1/2 cup almond slithers toasted
1/2 cup pepitas toasted
1/3-1/2 cup LSA (ground linseed, sunflower seed, almonds)
1 cup golden syrup
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup tahini (optional)

Lightly warm all the ingredients. Mix all other ingredients together in a bowl except the honey, golden syrup, tahini and the LSA. Add the honey, syrup, tahini and mix well together. Add 1/3 cup of the LSA and as much more to 1/2 cup as required to bind the mixture together then spread onto a tray lined with baking paper. Spread evenly and allow to set (20 mins in the fridge should do it). Warming the honey/golden syrup a little enables them to combine more easily and the LSA helps to bind the mixture.

Cut into bars and eat just as they are or coat in chocolate.

Chocolate dip
200g 80% dark couverture chocolate, grated into smaller pieces
400 g 80% dark couverture chocolate,
ie 600 g of couveture total
Melt 400g chocolate in a bowl over a water bath until the temperature of the chocolate mass is 43C, remove from water bath & fold in the 200g grated chocolate which should lower temp to 35C as it melts. The chocolate is now tempered and ready to use.
(There is a 2-3 degree C window of variation working with chocolate.)

***If your palate is more savoury try 3/4 cup tahini & ¾ cup of honey & omit the golden syrup

We have had a number of emails saying that this mixture is too sloppy and does not set, so Simon remade the nut bars to test the recipe. Simon tested using different quality almonds and found that a good almond absorbed its own size in water (5ml) while other almonds (old, badly processed or imported) could only absorb 2ml of fluid.
Therefore, to make this recipe absorb the amount of fluid, you need to find good quality fresh nuts.
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Return to Healthy Recipes