This recipe is easy and quick to make; around 20-25 minutes. For convenience, you can make it the night before and just reheat the next day.
Commercial baked beans are often critised by nutritionists for their sodium levels. Regular baked beans have around 240mg of sodium per 100g, reduced salt varieties around 240mg, while making your own is even better with only 198mg per 100g.
Serve on toast, with a poached egg, for a great start to your day.
- 2 x 420g cans drained and rinsed cannelloni beans
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 chorizo sausage, diced into small chunks
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 can tomatoes diced or crushed
- 1 tbsp. worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbsp. BBQ sauce
- 1 tsp. dijon mustard
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp. oregano dried
- Place your beans in a strainer and rinse until all clean, set aside.
- In a non-stick fry pan on med heat, heat oil and sauté onions for 8-10 mins until cooked but not coloured.
- Now add the diced chorizo sausage and cook a further 5 mins.
- Add garlic, cook for 30 seconds.
- Now add the canned tomatoes, beans, Worcestershire Sauce, Dijon, BBQ sauce, oregano and water. Simmer for 10-15 mins with lid on.
- Serve with toast and an egg for a great breakfast.
|Average Serve||Average 100g|
|Energy||1330 kJ||328 kJ|
|318 Cal||78 Cal|
|Protein||16.5 g||4.1 g|
|Fat, total||12.3 g||3.0 g|
|- Saturated||3.8 g||0.9 g|
|Carbohydrate||28.6 g||7.0 g|
|- Sugars||12.5 g||3.1 g|
|Sodium||786 mg||194 mg|