Cobblers are popular in the USA and UK, and it's no wonder, they're fabulous.
If you're a cake lover but want to eat cake that is lower in fat than most and has the goodness of fruit, you will really enjoy the texture of this cobbler which combines a cake texture top with firm sweet, juicy fruit underneath.
- 4 granny smith apples
- 3 cups blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- Pinch Salt
- 1 ½ cups plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 4 tablespoons light margarine spread
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1teaspoon vanilla essence
- ½ cup low fat milk
- 1 cup caster sugar
- Preheat oven 180C (355F)
- Peel and core apples and slice into chunks.
- You will need an oven proof dish, med sized. Place apples and 2 cups blueberries into dish. Sprinkle ¼ cup of the sugar, pinch of salt and cinnamon over fruit and mix around.
- Sift flour and baking powder together, set aside.
- Now with a beater or mixer, place remaining sugar and light margarine spread and mix until light and fluffy, around 5 mins.
- Now add vanilla essence, continue mixing, then add one at a time the eggs, keep mixing.
- Place 1/3 of flour to mixture, on low speed and when incorporated add 1/3 of the milk and keep rotating flour and milk until all combined.
- Stop mixing then with a wooden spoon or scraper gently mix in the remaining cup of blueberries, careful not to crush them.
- Pour mixture over fruit mix as evenly as you can and bake in oven for approx. 1 hour, check after 50mins if mixture is cooked, with a skewer.
- Serve immediately.
|Average Serve||Average 100g|
|Energy||1150 kJ||654 kJ|
|275 Cal||156 Cal|
|Protein||5.2 g||3.0 g|
|Fat, total||4.2 g||2.4 g|
|- Saturated||1.2 g||0.7 g|
|Carbohydrate||51.3 g||29.1 g|
|- Sugars||30.4 g||17.2 g|
|Sodium||140 mg||80 mg|