The nutritional information on this carrot cake recipe doesn't include the frosting, so if you do opt to add it to the recipe, just keep in mind that there will be a few more calories than listed here and because of the cream cheese, the fat level will be higher.
That said, if you're not watching your calorie or fat intake too closely, do give the frosting a try. You won't be disappointed. It is, after all, a dessert. (frosting will add around 3 extra grams of fat per serve).
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 150g Extra Light Margarine Spread (we used Devondale Brand)
- 220g (2cups) Wholemeal Flour, unbleached
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 2 teaspoons Bi-Carbonate Soda
- ¼ cup hot milk
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 2 cups grated carrots
- ½ cup sultanas or raisons
- ¼ cup golden syrup (or maple syrup/honey or treacle)
- 150g Cream Cheese
- 2 tablespoons golden syrup (or maple syrup/honey or treacle)
- 2 tablespoons icing sugar
- Preheat oven to 180C (350F). In a loaf tin line with baking paper and a quick spray of canola.
- In a mixer, cream sugar and Margarine Spread on med speed for 5 mins. Whilst this is mixing, sift the flour, baking powder, cinnamon into a bowl, set aside.
- Add vanilla essence, then eggs, a little at a time until well incorporated. Mix for another 1 minute. Now add golden syrup and mix for another minute.
- Stop mixing and with a wooden spoon or spatula add 1/3 of flour mixture, fold in. Add the next 1/3, fold then next 1/3. Next fold in the carrot.
- Heat milk in a cup until hot in a microwave, when hot add the bicarbonate soda, this will now foam. Add to cake mixture and mix in.
- Now put the mixture into loaf tin and bake for 40 mins depending on oven, check after 30 mins.
- Once cooked, take out of oven, leave in tin for 5 10 mins then cool on a wire rack.
- Once cooled, mix the cream cheese, sugar and golden syrup together and smoother with the frosting.
|Average Serve||Average 100g|
|Energy||894 kJ||886 kJ|
|214 Cal||212 Cal|
|Protein||4.7 g||4.7 g|
|Fat, total||4.1 g||4.0 g|
|- Saturated||1.1 g||1.1 g|
|Carbohydrate||37.5 g||37.2 g|
|- Sugars||20.3 g||20.1 g|
|Sodium||492 mg||487 mg|