This banana cake has a changing personality. When just cooled, it has a wonderful crunchy crust that is to die for. After a day or so, the crust begins to soften and becomes as moist as the inside.
If you like bananas and banana cake, this recipe is sure to become a favourite.
- 150g Light Margarine Spread
- 140g Caster Sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla essence
- 3-4 Very Ripe Bananas Mashed
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- ½ cup low fat milk
- 2 cups plain flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- Preheat oven to 180C (350F).
- Lightly spray a cake log pan with oil, and line with baking paper.
- With a mixer, place light spread and sugar and mix well for around 5 mins.
- Whilst still beating, add Vanilla Essence
- Still beating add eggs, one at a time
- Stop mixing and with a spoon mix in mashed banana carefully.
- Heat milk (in a large cup) in microwave for 30 sec so it is hot and add the baking(bi-carb) soda, it will foam.
- Now add to the banana mixture, gently.
- Sift in flour and baking powder together into the mixture, not all at once, in thirds.
- Turn into a greased and lined loaf tin.
- Bake at 180°C for 50mins to 1 hour, testing with a skewer in centre that no mixture sticks to skewer.
- Leave in tin for 10 minutes before turning out onto a cooling rack
- This cake doesn’t need any icing however you can ice with a mixture of cream cheese, icing sugar and squeeze of lemon.
|Average Serve||Average 100g|
|Energy||1120 kJ||799 kJ|
|268 Cal||191 Cal|
|Protein||6.4 g||4.6 g|
|Fat, total||4.2 g||3.0 g|
|- Saturated||1.2 g||0.8 g|
|Carbohydrate||49.1 g||35.1 g|
|- Sugars||19.1 g||13.7 g|
|Sodium||277 mg||198 mg|