The reduction in fat comes from using 2% fat milk instead of 35% fat cream, replacing most of the eggs with egg whites, using short cut bacon with all the fat trimmed off and 25% reduced fat pastry.
The majority of the fat left in this dish comes from the pastry. You can omit the pastry if you like (turning the dish into a frittata) and the dish then becomes low fat (2.9g per 100g).
This recipe is low sugar, high protein.
- 2 sheets short crust pastry, reduced fat, thawed
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 5 slices short cut bacon, no fat, cut into chunks
- 2-3 baby chat potatoes, chopped
- 2 eggs
- 6 egg whites
- 2 tsp. seeded mustard
- 1 ¼ cup reduce fat milk
- ¼ cup reduced fat cheese
- 2 tbsp. capsicum strips (we used from jar)
- 8 cherry tomato, cut into quarters
- Cracked Pepper
- 2 tbsp. parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 200c (400F).
- In a flan dish (we used 30cm or 12 inch dish) spray with a touch of cooking spray so pastry does not stick. Lay out the first sheet of pastry into the dish and with the second sheet cut strips and press into side and bottom of where the first sheet did not reach. Press firmly as you don’t want your liquid to leek.
- Line the pastry with baking paper and put baking beads or rice ontop and bake in oven for 15-20 mins. Take out and set aside (discard the baking paper).
- Now pierce your baby chat potatoes with a skewer a couple of times, microwave for 10 mins until cooked. Take out, cool and cut into chunks.
- In a bowl, whisk eggs, milk, and pepper.
- In a small pan, add teaspoon olive oil, and fry bacon and onion. Set aside.
- Spread on the base of the pastry the seeded mustard. Add on top the strips of red capsicum, tomatoes, onion and bacon mixture and cooked potato chunks.
- Pour the egg mixture into the dish, sprinkle reduced fat cheese and parmesan cheese over egg mixture, season again with pepper. Turn oven down to 180c (356F) and cook in oven for 30 mins approx., just check centre. It will set once you pull out and cool, it will set more once cooled.
- Serve with side salad.
|Average Serve||Average 100g|
|Energy||2530 kJ||617 kJ|
|604 Cal||147 Cal|
|Protein||26.7 g||6.5 g|
|Fat, total||28.1 g||6.9 g|
|- Saturated||14.6 g||3.6 g|
|Carbohydrate||58.2 g||14.2 g|
|- Sugars||12.2 g||3.0 g|
|Sodium||984 mg||240 mg|