You can serve this brown rice, ½ cup of cooked rice per person. Any leftover meatballs can be placed in a roll for lunch the next day, just like a sub...with lettuce, grated carrot and sliced tomato, you have a great lunch. If you don't eat pork, just double the beef.
This recipe is low fat, low sugar, and high protein.
- 250g (9 oz) pork mince
- 250g (9oz) beef mince
- ½ cup bread crumbs fresh or packet
- 1 large onion diced (or 2 tbsp. dried onions)
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp. tomato relish or chutney
- 1 tbsp. worcestershire sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed (or 1 tsp. garlic powder)
- ¼ cup fresh herbs (parsley, thyme, oregano) or 2 tsp. dried herbs
- S & P to taste
- 2 (small) onions, finely chopped
- 4 short cut (aka Canadian Bacon) bacon strips
- 1tbsp. olive oil
- 1 large bottle tomato passata or 2 cans diced tomato
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp. worcestershire sauce
- 4 tsp. brown sugar
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. dried marjoram
- 1 cup water
- S & P to taste
- Preheat oven to 200c.
- Preheat pan and fry onion until softened, set aside until cooled.
- In a large bowl, place mince, egg, worchestire sauce, herbs, chutney, cooled onion, garlic and breadcrumbs. With clean hands mix the ingredients altogether insuring everything is incorporated.
- Roll a tablespoon of the mixture into balls and place on plate, set aside.
- Sauté Onion in Olive oil for 5 mins until softened. Remove from heat then cook the diced short cut bacon until browned.
- Add the onion to the bacon then incorporate the worchestire sauce to the pan for around 30 seconds, keep stirring.
- Add the can of tomatoes and stir altogether, make sure heat is turned down to simmer. Add garlic, sugar, pepper and herbs. Keep simmering for around 5 mins, if too thick add the water.
- Place meatballs into a baking dish pour over the tomato sauce, add cup of water and bake for 20-25 minutes until meatballs are cooked. (after 10 mins turn balls over in the sauce).
|Average Serve||Average 100g|
|Energy||1340 kJ||368 kJ|
|320 Cal||88 Cal|
|Protein||26.9 g||7.4 g|
|Fat, total||10.5 g||2.9 g|
|- Saturated||3.3 g||0.9 g|
|Carbohydrate||27.3 g||7.5 g|
|- Sugars||13.3 g||3.6 g|
|Sodium||694 mg||190 mg|