Made with tender beef chunks and chunky carrots, mushrooms, celery, tomatoes and the unmistakable taste of real Guinness, this recipe provides a hearty meal that is very satisfying but also low in fat.
Served on their own, or with a side of mashed potato and vegetables, the simplicity of these beef and guiness pies make a traditionally winter dish enjoyable all year round.
This recipe is low sugar, low in sodium and high protein.
- 800g (1.7lb) beef chuck steak, diced
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tbsp.tomato paste, reduced salt
- 1 cup beef stock
- 2 cups Guinness (1 can)
- 1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp. cracked pepper
- 2 tsp. thyme (to taste)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp. brown sugar
- 3 carrots
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 3 celery stalks
- 2 sheets puff pastry cut into 4 squares each sheet
- Milk for glazing top of pastry
- 2 tsp. cornflour, mixed with ¼ cup cold water
- We used a slow cooker but you can use pot on stove, low and slow. Turn slow cooker on high.
- Heat 1 tsp. oil in a non stick fry pan and brown the meat for 2-3 mins. Take off heat, place in slow cooker, set aside and reheat 1 tsp. oil and cook onions for 5-10 mins until softened, add to slow cooker. Now add garlic,Worcestershire sauce, tomato paste, Guinness, beef stock, bay leaves, sugar, diced tomatoes, season with cracked pepper and leave in cooker for a couple of hours.
- After 2 hours add celery and carrots. Simmer for a further hour, until meat is tender.
- When cooked, add the cornflour mixed with cold water to the dish, stirring. This will thicken the sauce in 1 minute.
- Preheat oven 200C (400F), fan bake.
- Cool mixture and spoon into 8 ramekins. Place 1 square of puff pastry over each dish, press the edges to secure the pastry to the ramekin. Brush the tops with a little milk.
- Bake in oven for 20 mins, until the pastry has puffed.
- Serve with peas or steamed cauliflower.
|Average Serve||Average 100g|
|Energy||2050 kJ||524 kJ|
|490 Cal||125 Cal|
|Protein||37.2 g||9.5 g|
|Fat, total||22.2 g||5.7 g|
|- saturated||8.3 g||2.1 g|
|Carbohydrate||26 g||6.6 g|
|- sugars||7 g||1.8 g|
|Sodium||443 mg||113 mg|