Because it's a rustic French recipe, the vegetables and beef should be chunky or, in the case of some ingredients, left whole, which makes preparation easy. We used a slow cooker for this recipe, otherwise if using stovetop use a med-large pot on low and slow, or cook in the oven.
This recipe is low in saturated fat, low sodium and a good source of protein.
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 800g chuck, diced
- 3 large carrots, cut into big chunks
- 4 large cloves garlic, (6 small) crushed
- 2 large onions, diced
- 8 baby chat potatoes, halved or leave whole
- 4 tbsp. tomato paste
- 3 cups red wine, burgundy
- 2 tbsp. thyme, dried
- 12 button mushrooms, cleaned, leave whole
- 2 cups frozen peas
- 8 slices short cut bacon, no fat, diced
- 2 cups beef stock, heated
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 2 tsp. corn flour mixed with 1/4 cup cold water
- S & P to taste
- Heat 1 tbsp. olive oil in pan and sauté onions for 10 minutes on low med heat, you want your onions not to burn or colour. Once cooked take out of pan, place in slow cooker.
- Now add 1 tsp. olive oil and fry bacon until cooked. Again take out of pan, add to slow cooker.
- Add remaining olive oil and brown your beef, this should take 5 minutes, stirring, add to slow cooker.
- Add remaining ingredients - garlic, tomato paste, wine, bay leaves, thyme, heated beef stock, and season with S & P to taste.
- Mix everything in your cooker around and add the potatoes, carrots and set for 4 hours on high or 8 hours on low. If cooking in oven set to 140C making sure your casserole dish has a lid on.
- 1-2 hours before ready, add your frozen peas and add cornflour mixed with water and stir.
- This is a one pot dish, so no need to serve with anything, except you can steam some additional vegetables like broccoli and cauliflower.
|Average Serve||Average 100g|
|Energy||1880 kJ||384 kJ|
|449 Cal||92 Cal|
|Protein||41.9 g||8.5 g|
|Fat, total||20.4 g||4.2 g|
|- Saturated||6.6 g||1.4 g|
|Carbohydrate||15.8 g||3.2 g|
|- Sugars||7.1 g||1.4 g|
|Sodium||432 mg||88 mg|