You can add cauliflower or parsnips to this recipe if you like. The smoked paprika and extra garlic give it a real lift and we guarantee that once you've tried it, you'll be coming back for more. All leftovers you can freeze for another day.
This recipe is low saturated fat, low sugar, high protein.
- 1kg beef (35oz), chuck diced
- 2 large onions, diced
- 2 tsp. smoked paprika
- 2 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 cups beef stock low salt
- 5-6 cloves garlic, crushed
- 4 large potatoes, skin on, cut large chunks
- 4 large carrots, cut into large chunks
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 tsp. thyme & 1 tsp. rosemary
- 3 tbsp. tomato paste
- 3 tsp. cornflour mixed with ¼ cup cold water
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- S & P
- We used a slow cooker for this but you can use pot and transfer to oven. Heat your 1 tblsp oil and brown meat in 2 batches, approx. 3 mins each batch and set aside in a bowl.
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil and brown onions for 10 mins until softened, don’t burn. Then add smoked paprika, Worcestershire sauce, herbs and tomato paste, stir for 1 min until aroma released. Add crushed garlic and stir a further minute, then add meat to pan.
- Once meat is in add beef stock, bay leaves, potatoes and carrots. Season with S & P. Simmer on low heat for 3 hours in your slow cooker or oven 150C. Stir after 3 hours and see if you need any more seasoning or herbs or paprika. Cook a further 3 hours until meat is tender and potatoes are cooked.
- Add peas and cornflour mixture stir in and cook a further 30 mins.
- Serve with crusty bread or some brown rice.
|Average Serve||Average 100g|
|Energy||1610 kJ||419 kJ|
|385 Cal||100 Cal|
|Protein||35.9 g||9.3 g|
|Fat, total||16.8 g||4.4 g|
|- saturated||5.3 g||1.4 g|
|Carbohydrate||19.1 g||5 g|
|- sugars||6.6 g||1.7 g|
|Sodium||493 mg||128 mg|