Those of us who like to eat pies know how rare it is to find a delicious tasting pie that is actually low in fat. We have used reduced fat puff pastry which is readily available in most supermarkets.
This recipe is low saturated fat, low sugar, low sodium, and high protein.
- 1 bbq chicken taking off the breast, shredded (2 breasts)
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 tsp. cornflour
- 1 onion sliced
- 1 leek sliced
- 1 carrot diced
- 1 cup of corn kernels (or peas and corn we used frozen)
- 1 cup veg or chicken stock (salt reduced)
- 185g evaporated milk, canned, light
- 1 tsp. thyme
- 2 tsp. seeded mustard
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 sheet puff pastry, reduced fat
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Heat olive oil in a large pot and cook the onion and leek on low heat until translucent and has softened (around 10 mins). Add carrot and cook slowly for 5 mins, adding peas and corn. Sprinkle your thyme whilst stirring, add pepper and garlic.
- Add stock and 2 mustards and stir for 1 minute then add the milk and bring to a simmer. Mix cornflour and water together then add to pot, stirring until you see it thickening.
- Add the chicken; if it needs a little more liquid add more stock or water.
- Place mixture into casserole dish. Place pastry on top, brush top with a little milk.
- Bake for 20-25 mins until pastry is golden.
|Average Serve||Average 100g|
|Energy||1690 kJ||459 kJ|
|404 Cal||110 Cal|
|Protein||38.9 g||10.6 g|
|Fat, total||12.1 g||3.3 g|
|- Saturated||4.2 g||1.2 g|
|Carbohydrate||31.4 g||8.5 g|
|- Sugars||10.6 g||2.9 g|
|Sodium||165 mg||45 mg|