Chicken Parmigiana is one of the most popular pub or restaurant meals in Australia but often the meals served are far too big.
It's also oven baked, not fried, so it's wonderfully moist and healthier again, and has much less fat.
Remember, a good diet isn't necessarily one of total denial, but everything in moderation!
This recipe is low in saturated fats and sugar, and is a good source of protein.
- 1 Chicken Breast, skin removed
- 2 tsp. Pizza Sauce
- 2 tblp plain flour
- 1 Egg, mixed with 2 tblsp water
- Cooking Spray
- Sprinkle Rosemary, dried
- 2 Thin Slices Ham Off the bone
- 2 slices tomato
- 1 slice swiss cheese
- 1 clove garlic
- ½ cup breadcrumbs, mixed with dried herbs
- 1 cup broccoli
- 1 carrot, sliced
- 1 parsnip, cut into sticks
- S&P for seasoning
- Preheat oven 180C.
- Place cut parsnip on an oven tray, lined with baking paper. Season with Salt and Sprinkle rosemary. Bake for 30 mins.
- Place flour on a plate, egg in a bowl with crushed garlic and 2 tablespoons water, whisk. Place breadcrumbs on another plate.
- Coat the chicken with the flour then place in the egg wash bowl then coat with the breadcrumbs.
- Place chicken on a baking tray lined with baking paper. Spray both sides of the chicken with cooking spray and bake in the oven for 30 mins, turning half way.
- Meanwhile cut broccoli into florets and cut carrot and steam.
- Turn parsnips over, check to see you are not burning. When cooked take out.
- After the 30 mins take chicken out of oven, turn on the grill, fan bake as well if you have it.
- Place pizza sauce on the chicken; lay the ham on top, 2 slices of tomato then cheese. Place under the grill and cook for 5-8 minutes until bubbling.
- Cut chicken in half, serve immediately with the parsnips and steamed vegetables.
|Average Serve||Average 100g|
|Energy||2590 kJ||606 kJ|
|619 Cal||145 Cal|
|Protein||58.2 g||13.6 g|
|Fat, total||25.7 g||6.0 g|
|- Saturated||5.5 g||1.3 g|
|Carbohydrate||33.3 g||7.8 g|
|- Sugars||10.3 g||2.4 g|
|Sodium||502 mg||117 mg|