This is a great dish that will keep you feeling full for hours.
You can also make the meat mixture ahead of time, and when ready just make the pasta and bake. This will require additional baking time, just check it is bubbling.
This recipe is low fat, low sugar, low sodium and high protein.
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 500g beef mince
- 1 can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can tomatoes diced or crushed
- 2 tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 cup beef stock
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- ¼ tsp. chilli or chilli paste
- 3 cups elbow macaroni
- 4 tsp. ground cumin
- 3 tsp. ground coriander
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1 cup grated cheese, reduced fat
- In a large pot heat olive oil and sauté onion until softened approx. 5 mins.
- Add beef and cook until brown. Add cumin, chilli, coriander, paprika and stir for 1 minute.
- Add the beef stock, canned tomato and kidney beans. Simmer for 1 hour on low heat. Season with S & P to taste.
- Meanwhile cook pasta as per instructions. Drain and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Add pasta to pot and stir until combined.
- Place all into a large baking dish and top with grated cheese.
- Bake for 20 mins, serve immediately with a side salad.
|Average Serve||Average 100g|
|Energy||1440 kJ||425 kJ|
|344 Cal||102 Cal|
|Protein||33.8 g||10.0 g|
|Fat, total||9.8 g||2.9 g|
|- Saturated||4.1 g||1.2 g|
|Carbohydrate||25.2 g||7.4 g|
|- Sugars||6.2 g||1.8 g|
|Sodium||367 mg||108 mg|