The amazing taste of this recipe comes from the inclusion of red wine, Italian herbs and tomato paste. As well as being really tasty, this recipe is also very nutritious thanks to the vegetables hidden below the surface. You can freeze any leftovers for another day.
This recipe is low sodium, low sugar, low fat and high protein.
- 500g lean mince, 5 star
- ½ red capsicum (bell pepper), diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 cup frozen peas & corn
- 2 onions, diced
- 2 tbsp. tomato paste, no added salt
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp. brown sugar
- 3 tbsp.worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp. thyme and oregano each
- 2 cups beef stock, low salt
- ½ cup red wine
- ½ cup grated low fat tasty cheese
- 2 tsp. corn flour mixed with ¼ cup cold water
- 1 pkt potato gnocchi
- In a large non-stick frypan heat olive oil and cook onion on med heat for 5 mins. Add red capsicum and sauté for 5 more minutes. Then add carrots and celery cooking a further 5 mins, sweating out the veg’s.
- Now add the beef. You need to brown and break it up so turn up the heat and keep stirring so the beef browns. When it looks cooked, add the garlic, tsp. brown sugar, herbs, wine, turn the heat down to med and cook out the wine.
- Now add the stock and season with cracked pepper and simmer for 40 mins. Leave lid off so the liquid reduces down. At the 30 min mark add cornflour mixed with ¼ cup water to filling, this will thicken the mixture.
- Preheat oven 180C (350F).
- Bring a large pot of water to boil and cook the gnocchi as per instructions. Drain and set aside.
- Once your filling has simmered for 40 mins, turn off and stir in the frozen peas & corn.
- Place mixture in an oven proof dish, layout gnocchi on top with grated cheese.
- Cook in oven for 30 mins.
- Serve with steamed broccoli.
|Average Serve||Average 100g|
|Energy||2390 kJ||366 kJ|
|571 Cal||87 Cal|
|Protein||49.0 g||7.5 g|
|Fat, total||13.5 g||2.1 g|
|- Saturated||6.3 g||1.0 g|
|Carbohydrate||54.3 g||8.3 g|
|- Sugars||14.4 g||2.2 g|
|Sodium||726 mg||111 mg|