This Gnocchi Meatball Bake with Capsicum Sauce is deeeelicious.
Be careful which Gnocchi you include in your recipe as many supermarket brands tend to be quite high in sodium. We used one from a specialty store with a more home made style.
This recipe is low sat fat, low sodium low sugar and a good source of protein.
- 10 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 500g (1.1lb) Potato Gnocchi
- 3 tsp. olive oil
- 1 cup low fat tasty cheese
- 500g (1.1lb) pork or beef mince (or half n half)
- 1 tbsp. dried or onions flakes
- 1 tsp. ground garlic
- 2 tbsp. chutney or relish
- 2 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup breadcrumbs
- Salt and pepper
- 1 large Red Capsicum (Bell Pepper), sliced thinly
- 1 bottle (700g) tomato passata (or 2 cans crushed tomatoes)
- 2 tbsp. onion flakes
- 2 tsp. ground garlic (or freshly crushed)
- 1 tbsp. Italian herbs dried
- 1 tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 cup water
- Preheat oven 180C (350F).
- In a large bowl place all meatball ingredients and mix well with your hands. Roll into tiny meatballs, between a 10 and 20c piece. Place on a plate then place in fridge until ready to cook.
- Boil water in a pot to cook gnocchi. Once water is boiling, place gnocchi and cook for 4-5 minutes. Don’t overcook as it will still cook in oven. Drain and set aside.
- In a large non-stick pan or wok, heat 1 teaspoon of olive oil and place half the meatballs in pan and brown, approx. 3-4 minutes, keep shifting them around so all sides are browned. Take off heat and place on a new plate then add 1 more teaspoon olive oil and start process with the remaining balls, then when cooked place with the others on the plate.
- Keep pan going and add remaining oil, add capsicum and stir fry for 4-5 minutes. Add Passata, water, onion flakes, garlic, herbs and sugar, stirring and turn down heat and simmer, adding the meat balls in after 1-2 minutes.Season with Salt and Pepper to taste. Simmer a further 5 minutes. Now add gnocchi and incorporate until all mixed in.
- In 6 small baking dishes or 1 large place mixture, add halved tomatoes facing up, sprinkle cheese over top and bake for 20 minutes in oven.
- Serve with a side salad.
|Average Serve||Average 100g|
|Energy||1860 kJ||449 kJ|
|444 Cal||107 Cal|
|Protein||28.9 g||7.0 g|
|Fat, total||18.2 g||4.4 g|
|- Saturated||6.7 g||1.5 g|
|Carbohydrate||37.3 g||9.0 g|
|- Sugars||12.5 g||3.0 g|
|Sodium||353 mg||85 mg|