Finding low fat foods that taste great is often difficult for some. If this is a challenge you face, this low fat Mexican Chilli Beef with Rice recipe is going to delight you. It will only be as hot as you like so just omit the chilli if you are sensitive. We have cooked this in a slow cooker as with all cheaper cuts of meat low and slow for best results, you can also place in a casserole dish with lid on cook around 140-150C.
This recipe is also high in protein and is very hearty thanks to the beef and kidney beans, so it should keep you feeling full for longer.
- 800g(28 oz.) chuck or casserole beef, diced
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 large onions, diced
- 1 large red capsicum (aka sweet peppers)
- 3 large cloves garlic
- 1 small chilli, (more if you like it hotter)
- 3 tsp. cumin
- 2 tsp. coriander powder
- 3 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp. brown sugar
- 2 cans red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cans tomato, no added salt
- 1 cup beef stock, salt reduced
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped coriander
- 3 cups cooked rice
- We used a slow cooker but you can use a large oven dish, or large pot. Heat 1 tablespoon of oil on med-high heat and cook onion and capsicum stirring for around 5-8 mins. Remove out of pan once cooked and set aside.
- Now on high heat add remaining oil and brown the meat until seared on all sides, around 5 mins.
- Add the onions/capsicum back with the meat. Turn down heat to medium. Stir in the spices cumin, coriander powder, paprika and chilli. Cook for around 1 min and add the garlic, stir then add the kidney beans, sugar, tomato and stock and simmer on low heat for at least 4 hours, until meat is tender (slow cook for 8).
- Cook rice as per instructions, (we use a rice cooker for perfect rice)
- When cooked, stir through fresh coriander for 1 minute and serve with rice and optional dollop of light sour cream.
|Average Serve||Average 100g|
|Energy||1990 kJ||372 kJ|
|475 Cal||89 Cal|
|Protein||43.0 g||8.0 g|
|Fat, total||12.7 g||2.4 g|
|- Saturated||3.1 g||0.6 g|
|Carbohydrate||39.4 g||7.4 g|
|- Sugars||13.6 g||2.5 g|
|Sodium||514 mg||96 mg|