There are many different types of Moussaka, including a Greek version which ours is based on.
This recipe is low fat, sodium and sugar, and a good source of protein.
- 3 large eggplants/aubergine (approx. 1kg / 35oz)
- 500g lamb mince (approx 17oz)
- Cooking spray
- 1 teaspoon Olive oil
- 2 large onions
- 1 large or 2 small carrots, grated
- 3 large cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 can tomatoes, diced or crushed
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon all spice
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 large lemon zested
- 1 cup water
- Salt and Cracked Pepper to taste
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup plain flour
- 2 cups low fat milk
- 3 tablespoons low fat margarine spread
- 2 egg yolks only
- Salt and Cracked Pepper to taste
- ½ cup cheese, reduced fat
- Preheat oven to 200C (400F).
- Eggplant: Slice top and bottom of eggplant. Now length ways slice into 6-7 slices, depending on the size of your eggplant. Place on a baking tray, lined with baking paper, spray each side, sprinkle with a little salt and bake for 10 mins, turn over and bake for another 5 mins. Take out and set aside on a plate, stacked on top of each other is fine.
- Filling: In a pot heat olive oil on med heat and cook diced onions for 10 mins. Don’t burn, just ensure they are translucent. Add garlic, stir 1 min then add lamb mince, and brown until cooked nearly through. Now add all spice, cinnamon, oregano. Stir 1 min. Now add carrot, canned tomato, and sugar and tomato paste. Season with salt and pepper. Turn down heat to low and simmer for 5 mins. At this stage you might need to add the water and lemon zest. Simmer for 10 mins. Don’t make the mixture overly saucey.
- Béchamel Sauce: Warm the milk in microwave. In a pot on med heat melt the low fat margarine spread. Add flour and stir until a paste has formed, about 1-2 mins. With a whisk, add the warmed milk stirring in slowly. This will thicken over time, keep stirring. Once starting to thicken add the cheese and 2 egg yolks and whisk. Turn off heat.
- In an oblong baking dish, spray with cooking spray. Lay covering the base with some of the eggplant. Spread some of the lamb mixture over, then layer again with eggplant, then again lamb mixture. Finish with remaining eggplant, and pour over Béchamel Sauce. Sprinkle parmesan cheese on top.
- Reduce oven to 180C (350F) and bake for 30 mins, (some ovens may need 40 mins) until bubbling.
- Serve with Salad.
Servings: 6 Serving size:587g
|Average Serve||Average 100g|
|Energy||1720 kJ||294 kJ|
|411 Cal||70 Cal|
|Protein||32.1 g||5.5 g|
|Fat, total||17.6 g||3.0 g|
|- Saturated||6.3 g||1.1 g|
|Carbohydrate||25.8 g||4.4 g|
|- Sugars||18.9 g||3.2 g|
|Sodium||448 mg||76 mg|
This ebook contains 20 of our favourite chicken recipes. These include Cartwheel of Chicken, Spanish Chicken, Dijon Chicken, Risotto, Butter Chicken, Creamy Chicken Pasta, Honey Chicken, Honey Citrus Salad, Chicken Broccoli Bake, & more.
This collection of drinks recipes ranges from smoothies to juices. Most of these include fruit so they are a great way to tick off your daily fruit intake. This ebook includes 11 delicious recipes which you can print or save to your tablet or computer.
This printable eBook has a variety of vegetarian recipes including Risotto, Chickpea Burger, Vegetarian Fried Rice, Sweet Potato Bake, Stuffed Tomatoes, Semolina Gnocchi, Frittata, Curry Puffs, Zucchini Bake, Moroccan Tagine.
This printable eBook has great muffin recipes which include Apple & Cinnamon, Chocolate & Banana, Banana Almond & Cinnamon, Peach & Blueberry, Pear & Raspberry, Peach & Fig Baby Cakes, Gluten Free Choc Pear, & Banana & Sultana.
The Stir Frys in this printable eBook include Beef & Vegetable, Sesame Chicken, Beef Chow Mein, Chinese Orange Pork Stir Fry, Thai Chilli Beef, Vietnamese Pork Stir Fry, Beef & Blackbean, Ginger Chicken, Thai Chilli Pork, Vietnamese Chicken Stir Fry.
Winter time all you want is comfort food. These 10 recipes will satisfy your craving for warm filling dinners without the guilt. This PDF can be printed or saved to your tablet or computer.
If you are not on a carb free diet then this is perfect. Pastas are great to cook after work as they can incorporate vegetables and meat as a tasty, easy to make dish. This PDF can be printed or saved to your tablet or computer.
In this ebook there are breakfasts featuring plenty of fruit and vegetables, as well as dairy, and meat, so there's sure to be something for everyone. This PDF can be printed or saved to your tablet or computer.