Risotto has a reputation for being difficult to get right, but if you follow the instructions of this recipe you should get this one right every time.
We've used common button mushrooms in this recipe, but you can use more exotic mushroom varieties too, like Shiitake, Portabella or flat mushrooms.
- 2 cups Arborio Rice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 large cloves garlic crushed
- 4 cups (500ml) Salt Reduce Chicken Stock (or veg stock)
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon of herbs either dried or fresh
- 1 leek, washed and sliced
- 10 mushrooms, we used standard button, large, if small use 15, sliced
- 80g (2.8oz) Premium Feta (we use Dodoni Brand)
- 6 tablespoons FRESH Parmesan Cheese grated
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- In a pot put your stock, bring to boil then turn down to a simmer.
- In a large non stick frypan heat the oil and sauté the leeks for approx 5 mins on low heat making sure you don’t add any colour.
- Once cooked add the rice, stirring so it doesn’t stick to the pan, for around 1 minute.
- Now add the wine and keep stirring until the wine has soaked into the rice.
- Now add a ladle of the stock to the rice, keep stirring and once liquid has soaked in add another ladle. Season with pepper and herbs.
- Now add 2 handfuls of the mushrooms with another ladle of stock. Keep adding more handfuls of mushrooms and stock until all used, this should take 20 minutes.
- After the last liquid has been used, add crumbled feta and parmesan and stir until all incorporated.
- Serve with 1 slice of crusty bread.
|Average Serve||Average 100g|
|Energy||1380 kJ||312 kJ|
|330 Cal||75 Cal|
|Protein||16.6 g||3.8 g|
|Fat, total||13.1 g||3.0 g|
|- Saturated||6.4 g||1.5 g|
|Carbohydrate||27.5 g||6.2 g|
|- Sugars||3.9 g||0.9 g|
|Sodium||753 mg||171 mg|