We used beef stock to give this additional richness but please feel free to use any stock, just make sure it is low sodium.
Pumpkin is loaded with vitamin A and antioxidant carotenoids, particularly alpha and beta-carotenes, and is a good source of vitamins C, K, and E, and lots of minerals, including magnesium, potassium, and iron.
- 2 litres low sodium stock (or beef, use vegetable for vegetarian)
- 5 large cloves garlic
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 2 large onions finely chopped onion
- 1kg Pumpkin cubed
- 1/2 tsp. rosemary & 1/2 tsp thyme
- 2 cups Arborio rice (risotto)
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup baby spinach leaves
- 100g Freshly Grated Parmesan Cheese
- 100g Reduced premium feta, (we used Dodoni Brand)
- Bring stock to boil in a large saucepan. Cover and reduce heat to low.
- Preheat oven to 200C. Place cubed pumpkin on a tray lined with non stick paper. Spray olive oil over pumpkin and cook for 15 mins until tender. Remove from oven.
- Heat oil in a large non stick fry pan over medium heat. Add onion and sauté until tender, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Now add the butter and once melted add the rice and coat with the butter.
- Add white wine to rice and stir until liquid has been absorbed.
- Make sure your heat is down low.
- Add 2 ladles of the stock and keep stirring. The liquid will continue to be absorbed and keep adding a ladle at a time. Add ¼ of the pumpkin, stir the pumpkin in, this will blend in. Keep rotating pumpkin and stock. You can add the rosemary and pepper in between. You will be able to see the rice absorbing the liquid, that’s when you add more liquid. It will take around 20 mins so please be patient, it is worth it. Add spinach leaves.
- Taste the rice, it is ready when it still has a bit of a bite but not crunchy.
- Once cooked, turn off the heat and stir in parmesan cheese and fetta.
- Serve into bowls immediately.
|Average Serve||Average 100g|
|Energy||1400 kJ||214 kJ|
|334 Cal||51 Cal|
|Protein||17.3 g||2.6 g|
|Fat, total||13.2 g||2.0 g|
|- Saturated||8.4 g||1.3 g|
|Carbohydrate||33.7 g||5.1 g|
|- Sugars||15.6 g||2.4 g|
|Sodium||1130 mg||172 mg|