To take the protein levels even higher, you can add lamb which makes this recipe more of a traditional rogan josh recipe. Vegetarians, or those that want to include more vegtables in their diet but still want to eat tasty food will love this recipe. Substitue the sweet potato for carrots or cauliflower.
FYI - Some countries call Sweet Potato Kumera or Yams.
This recipe is low fat.
- 300g pumpkin, peeled and cubed
- 150g sweet potato peeled and cubed
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 can (400g) diced tomatoes
- 1 packet frozen spinach or 300g fresh
- 3-4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 cup water
- 100g rogan josh curry paste (we used Patak’s Brand)
- 2 cups steamed rice
- Handful of coriander
- 2 tbsp. cooking cream
- 120g natural yoghurt for serving
- In a large pot heat on med heat the olive oil. Add the onions and saute for 10 mins until softened, don’t burn.
- Add the pumpkin and sweet potato and stir for around 5 mins. Add the curry paste, keep stirring. The curry should coat veg and then add the canned tomatoes. Keep stirring.
- Now add the crushed garlic and water. Let simmer on very low heat for 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Now add the spinach, stir in.
- Continue to simmer for ½ hour. If you want a smoother finish add 2 tbsp. cooking cream although please note our nutritionals don’t include this.
- Serve with natural yogurt drizzled over the top and steamed rice.
|Average Serve||Average 100g|
|Energy||1210 kJ||244 kJ|
|289 Cal||58 Cal|
|Protein||9.7 g||2.0 g|
|Fat, total||9.3 g||1.9 g|
|- Saturated||1.3 g||0.3 g|
|Carbohydrate||35.9 g||7.2 g|
|- Sugars||13.2 g||2.7 g|
|Sodium||464 mg||94 mg|