We have set the cooking time to 4 hours, but if you have the time cook it for 6-8 hours you'll help the flavours really develop.
If you omit the potatoes from this dish, it becomes low carb. You also have the option of serving with avocado, light sour cream and a sprinkle of cheese, but these are not included in the nutritionals.
This recipe is low sodium, low sugar, low fat and high protein.
- 500g casserole/ chuck beef, trimmed
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 onions, sliced
- 1 red capsicum, sliced
- 1 can tomatoes, diced
- 6 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. chilli flakes or paste (to taste)
- 2 tsp oregano
- 2 tsp. paprika
- 2 cups beef stock, salt reduced
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 potatoes
- 2 carrots
- Heat your slow cooker on high (4 hours).
- Heat a non-stick small frypan with 1 tbsp. olive oil and cook onions for 5 mins.Â Then add tsp sugar to caramelised the onions and cook for 1 more minute.Â Place in the slow cooker.
- Keep pan going and add another tbsp. oil and brown the beef in 2 batches, you just want to sear the outside so only a minute or two.Â Add the cumin and paprika and sear a further 30 seconds.Â Add to slow cooker.
- Now add to the slow cooker the capsicum, tomatoes, garlic, chilli, stock, bay leaves and cook for2 hours.Â After 2 hours add the potato and carrots.Â Taste to see if you need to add anymore herbs or spices.Â
- Serve when meat is very tender.Â
|Average Serve||Average 100g|
|Energy||1650 kJ||304 kJ|
|394 Cal||73 Cal|
|Protein||43.9 g||8.1 g|
|Fat, total||12.7 g||2.3 g|
|- Saturated||3.0 g||0.6 g|
|Carbohydrate||20.4 g||3.8 g|
|- Sugars||12.2 g||2.2 g|
|Sodium||447 mg||83 mg|