This is a great entertaining recipe but if you are serving them to a gathering of family and friends, just assume that some people won't be able to stop at just one.
Based on the amount of curry powder stipulated in this recipe, these curry puffs are relatively mild to appeal to everyone.
To make Curry Puffs in the common half moon shape, simply use a cookie cutter to cut out circles of pastry. The challenge with curry puffs is often make them small.
- 10 Potatoes
- 2 carrots, finely diced
- 2 small or 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1.5 cups peas & corn
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon gram masala
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 4 sheets reduced fat puff pastry
- Low Fat milk for brushing tops of the pastry
- Yoghurt mixed with mint and sweet chilli sauce for serving
- Pierce potatoes with a skewer 3 or 4 times. In 2 batches (5 each time on a plate) microwave on high for 15 mins or until cooked. Set aside and when slightly cooled enough to pick up peel off the skin with a small knife.
- Once all potatoes are cooked and peeled chop them and put into a large bowl.
- In a large non-stick fry pan spray heat olive oil and cook onions until softened.
- When onions cooked drizzle tiny bit more oil and add turmeric, gram masala, and curry powder, the spices should sizzle for 1 minute to release the aroma.
- Preheat oven to 200C (400F)
- Now add carrot which have been finely diced and ¼ cup water so they cook quickly. Once softened add potato and stir to well incorporated. Add more water another ¼ cup otherwise will become dry. Now add the peas and corn, try not to mash them but stir into the mixture.
- Layout the 4 sheets of pastry, they will take around 5 mins to defrost depending on the temperature.
- Once defrosted, cut each sheet into 4 squares.
- Place some mixture into each little sheet in the centre, with a pastry brush a little cold water on the edge inside so when you close it helps to stick. Fold so you end up with a log shape. Press edges together. Brush with milk on top for a shine when cooked.
- Layout on baking trays lined with non-stick baking. Place each pastry onto trays and bake for 20 mins or until puffed and golden.
- Serve with yoghurt mixed with mint and sweet chilli sauce.
|Average Serve||Average 100g|
|Energy||911 kJ||542 kJ|
|218 Cal||129 Cal|
|Protein||6.3 g||3.8 g|
|Fat, total||5.9 g||3.5 g|
|- Saturated||2.5 g||1.5 g|
|Carbohydrate||32.6 g||19.4 g|
|- Sugars||3 g||1.8 g|
|Sodium||158 mg||94 mg|