Traditionally this recipe uses filo pastry, however with filo pastry you need to butter each individual sheet which increases the fat content. We've kept fat to a minimum by using reduced fat puff pastry and is easier to prepare.
If you did want to use filo use a quick spray of olive oil between each sheet.
- 700g frozen spinach, defrosted, drained
- 1 onion sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed.
- 1 tablespoon fresh mint
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 egg whites
- 120g feta
- 200g ricotta
- 300g Filo Pastry (option to use puff but will increase fat level)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Squeeze of lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 180c.
- On a medium heat sauté onions in a non stick fry pan sprayed with a little cooking spray until softened, around 5-10 mins.
- Turn down heat, add crushed garlic and stir for 1 minute, don't let garlic burn. Take off heat and set aside.
- Place drained spinach in a large bowl add the egg whites, feta, ricotta, mint, nutmeg,lemon juice and season with salt and pepper. Mix until combined
- Take out the frozen puff pastry sheets; lay out on bench next to each other to defrost.
- Take an oven proof dish, square around 5cm high and lay down one sheet of puff pastry. Dont worry about the overhang. If your dish is bigger, then you might need an extra pastry sheet.
- Spoon mixture onto the pastry then layer the other sheet on top. Any overhang just fold over into the pie so it is enclosed. Prick with fork a coupleof times.
- Brush the top with milk or egg wash and bake for around 30 - 40 mins in oven.
|Average Serve||Average 100g|
|Energy||1840 kJ||479 kJ|
|439 Cal||114 Cal|
|Protein||27.2 g||7.0 g|
|Fat, total||17.4 g||4.5 g|
|- Saturated||9.2 g||2.4 g|
|Carbohydrate||59.4 g||9.6 g|
|- Sugars||5.1 g||1.3 g|
|Sodium||648 mg||168 mg|