Tuna is a very popular diet food because it is very versatile, is high in protein and low in saturated fat. If you are watching your weight, just be sure to choose tuna that is packed in water (brine) and not in oil.
While the garlic bread option below provides added flavour, remember it also adds calories if you are trying to be particularly careful with what you eat.
- 1 small bread stick or small stick garlic bread.
- 4 tablespoons basil pesto (or sun dried tomato pesto).
- 1 small roma tomato, thinly sliced.
- 2 x cans 95g tuna, drained.
- Cracked black pepper to serve.
- Slice breadstick into thick slices, or cut garlic bread into slices and spread with pesto.
- Place on tray and grill for 2-3 minutes or until pesto is bubbling and edges of bread are golden brown.
- Place tomato on top of the pesto, topping with teaspoon of tuna.
- Place under grill again and grill for 1 – 2 minutes, just to warm tuna.
- Serve immediately with cracked black pepper.
|Average Serve||Average 100g|
|Energy||1950 kJ||1100 kJ|
|466 Cal||263 Cal|
|Protein||19.6 g||11.0 g|
|Fat, total||14.0 g||7.9 g|
|- Saturated||2.4 g||1.4 g|
|Carbohydrate||62.2 g||34.9 g|
|- Sugars||5.2 g||2.9 g|
|Sodium||932 mg||524 mg|