We have used ½ cup sugar in this recipe but if you dont have a sweet tooth then use ¼ cup, which will still tastes great but there is not a sweetness to the muffin. This will bring the sugar down from 15.2g per serve to 9.6g per serve.
You can find almond meal & rice flour in the health food aisle of the supermarket; otherwise the rice flour can be located with the normal flour section.
- ½ cup Almond Meal
- ½ cup Rice Flour
- ¼ cup Cocoa Powder, Good Quality
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 egg whites
- ½ cup almond milk
- 4 tbsp. Light Marg Spread (butter if desired)
- ½ cup yoghurt
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. bi carb soda
- ½ pear, sliced thinly
- Preheat oven 180C. Set up Muffin tin with patty pans.
- In a large bowl, sift almond meal, rice flour, cocoa powder and baking powder all together. Add sugar and mix.
- Heat ½ cup almond milk in microwave for 1 min until hot. Set aside.
- Melt margarine/butter in microwave for 30 sec. Set aside.
- Now whisk the 2 egg whites until soft peaks form. Approx 3 mins.
- Place bi-carb soda into hot milk, and pour with dry ingredients along with the melted margarine and yoghurt. Mix until all incorporated.
- Now fold the egg white into mixture. DON’T beat, be gentle and fold with a spatula as you want to keep the air for light muffins.
- Pour mixture into patty pans and place 2 pear slices into centre vertical. If you place directly on top this will weigh the muffin tops down.
- Bake in oven for 25 minutes or until cooked, checking with a skewer.
|Average Serve||Average 100g|
|Energy||777 kJ||852 kJ|
|186 Cal||203 Cal|
|Protein||11.6 g||12.7 g|
|Fat, total||5.6 g||6.2 g|
|- Saturated||1.4 g||1.5 g|
|Carbohydrate||26.8 g||29.3 g|
|- Sugars||15.2 g||16.6 g|
|Sodium||334 mg||367 mg|