Broccoli is placed on almost every superfoods list because it's low in calories, and is rich in nutrients and beneficial phytochemicals.
We have included a little bacon in this to give a little smokey flavour however if you are vegetarian omit this and use vegetable stock. This recipe serves 6 so any leftovers place in single serve containers and freeze for another day.
This recipe is low fat, low sodium, low sugar and dairy free.
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 short cut bacon slices, diced (aka Canadian Bacon or Back Bacon)
- 1 large zucchini, sliced or chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 4 cups beef stock, heated
- 1 large potato, peeled and chopped
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- ¼ cup flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 1 large broccoli cut into pieces (use stem as well)
- Cracked pepper to taste (we used lots)
- In a large pot (we used a slow cooker) heat the olive oil and sauté the onion until softened, do not burn. Should take around 8 mins on med heat.
- Now add bacon and cook a further 5 mins. After 5 mins add garlic and cook a further 30 sec.
- Add heated stock, oregano, pepper, potato and bay leaf. Simmer for 2-3 minutes then add the broccoli and zucchini and parsley.
- Put lid on and simmer on low heat for 45 mins until all broccoli has broken up.
- Take out bay leaf and with a stick blender in the pot blend until all smooth.
- Serve with crusty bread.
|Average Serve||Average 100g|
|Energy||440 kJ||125 kJ|
|105 Cal||30 Cal|
|Protein||6.6 g||1.9 g|
|Fat, total||4.1 g||1.2 g|
|- Saturated||1.0 g||0.3 g|
|Carbohydrate||7.4 g||2.1 g|
|- Sugars||3.1 g||0.9 g|
|Sodium||141 mg||40 mg|